A global map of the June 2017 LOTI (land-ocean temperature index) anomaly, relative to the 1951-1980 June average. View larger image.
July 2017 equaled record July 2016...
July 2017 was statistically tied with July 2016 as the warmest July in the 137 years of modern record-keeping, according to a monthly analysis of global temperatures by scientists at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York.
Last month was about 0.83 degrees Celsius warmer than the mean July temperature of the 1951-1980 period. Only July 2016 showed a similarly high temperature (0.82 °C), all previous months of July were more than a tenth of a degree cooler.
The GISTEMP monthly temperature anomalies superimposed on a 1980-2015 mean seasonal cycle. View larger image or PDF.
Starting with this update, the previously used ocean data set ERSST v4 was replaced by the newer ERSST v5. This contributed to the changes of some of the data in last month's update. For more information, see the Updates to Analysis and the History Pages.
The monthly analysis by the GISS team is assembled from publicly available data acquired by about 6,300 meteorological stations around the world, ship- and buoy-based instruments measuring sea surface temperature, and Antarctic research stations.
The modern global temperature record begins around 1880 because previous observations didn't cover enough of the planet. Monthly analyses are sometimes updated when additional data becomes available, and the results are subject to change.
July 2017 equaled record July 2016, NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Aug 15, 2017
Links posted on Facebook
Sun Aug 13 2017
- Here's What Trump's Team Has Gotten Wrong About Climate Change So Far by Pam Wright, The Weather Channel. Aug 10, 2017
- FEATURE-As glaciers melt, "Land of Fire and Ice" watches its history seep away by Thin Lei Win, Thomson Reuters Foundation, Aug 10, 2017
- People, palm oil, pulp and planet: four perspectives on Indonesia’s fire-stricken peatlands by Samantha Grover, Linda Sukamta & Robert Edis, The Conversation AU, Aug 11, 2017
- Alaskan towns at risk from rising seas sound alarm as Trump pulls federal help by Oliver Milman, Guardian, Aug 10, 2017
- Global weirding with Katharine Hayhoe: If I just explain the facts, they'll get it, right?, Video by KTTZ Texas Tech Public Media, Skeptical Sience, Aug 8, 2017
- An attempt to avert Trump’s interference in climate science might actually invite it by Eric Holthaus, Grist, Aug 11, 2017
- Scientists discover 91 volcanoes below Antarctic ice sheet by Robin McKie, Observer/Guardian, Aug 12, 2017
- August 2017 ENSO update: Extreme neutral! by Michelle L'Heureux, NOAA's Climate.gov, Aug 10. 2017
Mon Aug 14 2017
- In Egypt, A Rising Sea — And Growing Worries About Climate Change's Effects by Jane Arraf, NPR News, Aug 13, 2017
- Refugees of a different kind are being displaced by rising seas — and governments aren't ready by Matt Zdun, CNBC, Aug 13, 2017
- New studies and new catastrophes give climate change deniers a lot to deny by Fred Grimm, Miami Herald, Aug 13, 2017
- Anger over 'untrue' climate change claims by Matt McGrath, BBC News, Aug 11, 2017
- Climate Science Denial Group GWPF Admits It Used False Temperature Graph by Kyla Mandel, DeSmog UK, Aug 14, 2017
- What will become of Bangladesh’s climate migrants? by Megan Darby, Climate Home, Aug 14, 2017
- Yale Climate Connections: America's beacon of climate science awareness by John Abraham, Climate Consensus - the 97%, Guardian, Aug 14, 2017
- The time window for the 1.5-degree target is closing by Thorsten Mauritsen, Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Aug 11, 2017
Tue Aug 15 2017
- Evangelical Christians & Climate Change (#GreenSunday) by Steve Hanley, Clean Technica, Aug 13, 2017
- States Are Using Social Cost of Carbon in Energy Decisions, Despite Trump's Views by Peter Fairley, InsideClimate News, Aug 14, 2017
- Al Gore thinks our political system can save the climate. His daughter isn’t so sure. by David Roberts, Vox, Aug 11, 2017
- Pakistani province plants one billion trees to help slow down effects of global warming by Jeff Farrell, The Independent, Aug 14, 2017
- Tagus river at risk of drying up completely by Stephen Burgen, Guardian, Aug 14, 2017
- New study: ‘Super heat waves’ of 131°F coming if global warming continues unchecked by Joe Romm, Think Progress, Aug 14, 2017
Wed Aug 16 2017
- Shell and Exxon face censure over claim gas was 'cleanest fossil fuel' by Arthur Neslen, Guardian, Aug 14, 2017
- How Scotland is pioneering a new way to fight climate change by Callum Brodie, World Economic Forum, Aug 15, 2017
- Trump to reverse Obama-era order aimed at planning for climate change by Darryl Fears & Steven Mufson, Energy & Environment, Washington Post, Aug 15, 2017
- July 2017 equaled record July 2016, NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Aug 15, 2017
- Analysis: Why US carbon emissions have fallen 14% since 2005 by Zeke Hausfather, Carbon Brief, Aug 15, 2017
- For Crop Harvests, Every Degree of Warming Counts by Adam Aton, E&E News/Scientific American, Aug 16, 2017
- Suniva, Seeking Tariffs on Foreign Solar Panels, Faces Tough Questions from ITC by Marianne Lavelle, InsideClimate News, Aug 16, 2017
- Australian government ‘can’t be trusted to protect Great Barrier Reef’ by Karl Mathiesen, Climate Home, Aug 15, 2017
Thu Aug 16 2017
- Costly signals needed to deliver inconvenient truth by Quentin Douglas Atkinson & Shaun Hendy, The Conversation UK, Aug 15, 2017
- Scott Pruitt is dismantling EPA in secret for the same reason the GOP health care bill was secret by David Roberts, Energy & Environment, Vox, Aug 24, 2017
- Does Climate Change Cause Extreme Weather Events? by Kyle Frischkorn, Smithsonian, Aug 15, 2017
- California scientists push to create massive climate-research programme by Jeff Tollefson, Nature, Aug 16, 2017
- Climate Lessons from California, Opinion by Noah S Diffenbaugh, New York Times, Aug 17, 2017
- Some Democrats See Tax Overhaul as a Path to Taxing Carbon by Lisa Friedman, Climate, New York Times, Aug 17, 2017
- Trump Has Broad Power to Block Climate Change Report by Andrew Revkin, ProPublica, Aug 15, 2017
- Covering climate change: journalism’s biggest and most difficult story, ever, The Spinoff, Aug 16, 2017
Fri Aug 17 2017
- Sea ice a ‘handbrake on global warming’ by John Ross, The Australian, Aug 18, 2017
- One of the biggest criticisms against wind and solar energy has been quashed by Akshat Rathi, Quartz, Aug 17, 2017
- These South Korean Entrepreneurs Are Leading The Charge Against Climate Change by Elaine Ramirez, Forbes, Aug 17, 2017
- Why does USA Today keep publishing op-eds that dispute climate science? by Kevin Kalhoefer, Media Matters for America, Aug 17, 2017
- Curbing climate change: Why it’s so hard to act in time by Timothy H. Dixon, The Conservation US, Aug 18, 2017
- Problems For Oil by Riduna, Skeptical Science, Aug 18, 2017
- EPA chief Pruitt borrows from an old but effective denialist playbook by John Cook, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Aug 18, 2017
- Wildfire still burning in Greenland tundra in mid-August 2017 by Tom Di Liberto, NOAA's Climate.gov. Aug 18, 2017
Sat Aug 18 2017
- Kuwait's inferno: how will the world's hottest city survive climate change? by Ruth Michaelson, Guardian, Aug 18, 2017
- Climate change a risk to survival of long-lived Norway spruce by Paul Brown, Guardian, Aug 17, 2017
- Solar eclipse: Why the sun is not responsible for recent climate change by Zeke Hausfather, Carbon Brief, Aug 18, 2017
- Wind and solar power are saving Americans an astounding amount of money by David Roberts, Energy & Environment, Vox, Aug 18, 2017
- Should You Trust Climate Science? Maybe the Eclipse Is a Clue by Justin Gillis, Climate, New York Times, Aug 18, 2017
- Climate change will likely wreck their livelihoods – but they still don't buy the science by Shannon Sims, Guardian, Aug 18, 2017
- Investigating the Enigma of Clouds and Climate Change by Diane Toomey, Yale Environment 360, Aug 17, 2017
- It’s time to start talking about “negative” carbon dioxide emissions by David Roberts, Energy & Environment, Vox, Aug 18, 2017
Posted on 19 August 2017 by John Hartz
original story HERE
Share This Blog Post: If you would like to share this blog post, go to the original shorter version of this post and look to lower right for the large green Share button. Ask them to sign up too for the Global Warming Blog.