Saving BUB, Beautiful Unique Biodiversity, as in this Hickory Horned Devil that occurs in US Forests, is another reason to preserve carbon storing forests. Source www.buzzle.com
Today, the Earth got a little hotter, and a little more crowded.
And the chances of Donald Trump’s family and fortune surviving climate change are small, dwindling daily and irreversibly...
(Note: OO are links to corresponding stories...)
Forests: the cheapest way to store carbon
An Increasing Rarity – Beautiful Southern Forests Source mybeautifuladventures.com
OO Aggressive Forest Protection Needed To Meet US Climate Goals Takeaways:
- critical to meet climate goals, US forest protection is not a US climate priority;
- some government and forestry industry actors even promote increased logging as a climate change solution;
- Forest disturbance from logging in the Southern U.S. occurs at four times the rate that it does in the rainforests of South America,
- reducing the ability of US forests to act as carbon sinks by at least 35 %.
When we harm forests, we harm ourselves.
REQUIEM FOR A REEF
@@ Climate Change Is Killing The Great Barrier Reef - Takeaways:
Coral reefs are bleaching and dying worldwide due to warming oceans:
- 90% of coral nutrition comes from algae living within them;
- As corals heat, the algae photosynthesize faster,
- And produce a toxin, ultimately forcing corals to expel them.
- Deprived of colorful algae, corals turn white and starts starving.
- Once dead, corals are rapidly covered with brown algae.
Seascapes of Bleached Coral are spectres of mass starvation.
- Under current conditions, these “undersea rainforests” will disappear forever within 10-30 years.
- Once these reefs are gone, we lose permanently an important source of:
- Food for over half a billion people,
- coastal protection from storms and erosion,
- and biodiversity.
We know human activities are fueling global warming, but are failing to act.
Ultimately, this story is our failure of intelligence and morality. Like bacteria, we are:
- Reproducing without recognizing our resource constraints,
- Using those resources wantonly,
- And in doing so, ensuring the collapse of our populations
- - as surely as bacterial populations collapse in a lab dish.
A Slice of Incredible Coral Reef Life is revealed under ultraviolet lighting, exposing the truly wild colors of corals – just the tip of the beautiful berg of life we are losing as coral reefs are destroyed by climate change. Credit Jourday at reefbuilders.com
OO Scientists Race Desperately To Prevent Wipeout Of World’s Corals,
Shocked By Humanity’s Stupidity – Takeaways:
- About 50% of the world’s corals have already died.
- Scientists are trying to breed some heat resistant corals,
- And “recondition” corals to tolerate new levels of heat.
- Even so, scientists expect 90+% of the world corals to die by 2050,
- With little hope of saving more than a small fraction of them.
“You couldn’t be more dumb ... to erode the very thing that life depends on — the ecosystem — and hope that you’ll get away with it,”— Biologist and Global Change Institute Director, University of Queensland Ove Hoegh-Guldberg.
Colorful Soft Corals Also Are Part of Reefs – this is likely a Caribbean reef. Probable Credit: Mika Specta
- Provide habitat for a quarter of all marine species;
- Form crucial coastal storm barriers;
- provide billions of dollars in revenue from tourism, fishing and other commerce,
- reef species are used to produce cures to diseases ranging from bacterial and viral to cancer.
“Whether you’re living in North America or Europe or Australia, you should be concerned” added Hoegh-Guldberg.
An Acid Future For Our Oceans is developing, as more CO2 is absorbed acidifying the seawater, as the past and projected rises in acidity above show. Source Tobias Friedrich, University of Hawaii
OO Half Of World’s Oceans To Face Multiple ‘Climate Stressors’ By 2030 study warns. Takeaways:
- Stresses will alter them in a number of ways,
- Seriously harming plants and animals, from plankton to whales.
- Oceans are vital to human existence.
A Future Without Fish Awaits Us Source www.alimorrowprojects.com
By 2050, 85+ % of the oceans will be similarly stressed:
- Vital nutrient mixing in the layers will decrease, starving food chains.
- Vital oxygen will keep decreasing, as waters warm more.
- Increasing seawater levels of CO2 will acidify waters,
- Greatly impairing shellfish and fish to build skeletons.
DivestGuide.org is a new clearhinghouse for fossil fuel free investing, designed to augment collective NGO and business community efforts:
+ leveraging financial markets to reduce climate risk,
+ making it easier to invest fossil fuel free, and
+ accelerating the clean energy transition.
And is sponsored by 6 major investment institutions: Green Century Capital Management, Macroclimate, Trillium Asset Management, Appleseed Capital, Change Finance, and Etho Capital.
Check It Out Today, and Spread the Word!
WHY FACTS DON’T ALWAYS MATTER
OO Fact: Humans Caused 100% Of The Past Century’s Global Warming show overwhelming evidence, and supported by 97% of all scientists. Yet, only 48% of US adults believe humans cause it, while only 40% believe it will harm wildlife, weather patterns, or shorelines.
OO Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds sometimes. [MH: I change my mind with facts, and so do others.. Let’s grow this “revolution”!] New discoveries about the human mind show the limitations of reason. Takeaways:
- Reason developed to resolve the problems posed by living in collaborative groups.
- “Confirmation Bias” — the tendency to embrace information that supports one’s beliefs and reject those that do not – is a serious constraint on reason.
- Even after the evidence “for their beliefs has been totally refuted, people fail to make appropriate revisions in those beliefs,” the researchers noted.
Whether You Believe It Or Not, Gravity Is A Fact with consequences. So is climate change, which operates under the same set of physical laws. Source creativeenglishvocabulary.com
- The “illusion of explanatory depth” effect, nearly ubiquitous,
- is when people believe that they know way more than they actually do;
- enhanced by collaboration, it creates fuzzy boundaries of
- where one’s own understanding ends and that of others begin.
Credit Mike Keefe at the Denver Post
- This gets us in trouble politically,
- where understanding facts is crucial to deciding large scale actions.
- Often “strong feelings do not emerge from deep understanding.”
- And if feelings, not understanding, bind people together,
- then “tribal” communities of ignorance can develop that are impervious to facts.
Thus, working through the policy implications of proposals TOGETHER is far more effective than pontificating.
CALLING A DENIER A DENIER
OO Climate Deniers, You’re Climate Deniers - Deal With It - Takeaways:
- Climate deniers fit the Freudian definition of denial perfectly:
- ignoring an unpleasant truth and replacing it with something benign and untrue,
- or shifting blame on other causes, such as sunspots.
Others fit Freud’s minimalization definition:
- Humans cause climate change, but
- it’s too costly to address, or
- not as important as other problems.
- Climate deniers both deny the science and needed policy to address it.
Calling deniers anything less (eg, “doubters”) is misleading and irresponsible.
TRUMP TRUMPED BY CLIMATE CHANGE
OO Trump’s Climate Views: Combative, Conflicting And Confusing - In 2009, he co-signed a full-page NY Times advertisement calling for “meaningful and effective measures to combat climate change.” Now, he refers to climate change as a hoax or a joke.
OO If We Stop Collecting Data, Will Climate Change Just Go Away? No, Virginia, it won’t.
In his seventh week in office, President Trump decides we should stop measuring things.
OO Ex Koch Agents, Fossil Fuel Industry Hired Guns Now Staffing Trump’s Federal Agencies – climate change skeptics all.
When Words Fail, Use Exxon’s shows the Exxon infused Trump administration with a press release lifted verbatim from Exxon’s own press release. Screencapture Christopher Ingraham on twitter
OO The Clean Power Plan Is Gone—And There’s No ‘Replace planned, says a briefed source.
OO Trump Gang Plans To Stop Energy Efficiency, Other Programs including the popular Energy Star program for companies to seek labels for energy-efficient consumer products and appliances.
OO What Slashing The EPA’s Budget By One-Quarter Would Really Mean
Forget about monitoring and regulating:
- Air pollution
- Water pollution
- Climate change threats to national security
- Forget about:
- Helping communities and farms adapt to climate change
- Sending out storm alerts to affected US communities
Under Trump, Droughts and Even Tornadoes Could Surprise Farmers who have relied on weather and seasonal forecasts by a NOAA agency, the National Weather Service. Source Shutterstock
OO Trump’s Plan To Slash Weather Forecast Funding Is Terrible News For Farms
“There are few important decisions farmers can make without contemplating weather.”
OO NOAA Cuts Will Stymie Research, Put Americans At Risk
OO NOAA Sea Grant Cut Could Slow Climate Adaptation,
Compromising Coastal American Safety and greatly upping the pricetag of adaptation if it isn’t tackled now.
EPA Now Home to Climate Skeptic Clowns – and dark clowns indeed, if they refuse to acknowledge the reality of climate change, which threatens the safety and security of Americans and the USA. Photo Source Business Insider
OO There Goes Reality, And Americans’ Safety:
EPA Head Stacks Agency With Climate Change Skeptics
OO EPA Head Scott Pruitt Has Already Broken Trust And 5 Promises To Congress now that he has the job.
The broken promises are:
1. To recognize climate reality – he said that EPA’s conclusion on how climate changing gases like CO2 endanger human health and welfare “needs to be enforced and respected” and is unquestionable. Now, he denies CO2 drives climate change.
2. To stand up for science – he said “science must serve as ‘the backbone’ of EPA actions.” Yet now, he directly contradicts the findings of scientists at every major American scientific organization, which are based on decades of intensive, peer-review research and data.
Credit Adam Zyglis at the Buffalo News
3. To enforce clean air and water rules - Pruitt said he wanted to “restore the EPA’s essential mission of keeping our air and our water clean and safe.” Now he supports a 24% cut to the Agency’s budget, including clean air and water programs.
4. To be consistent on states’ rights – he claimed to favor greater authority for states. Now he’s considering revoking California’s right to have stronger clean air standards for cars.
5. To fight all forms of pollution – he claimed concern about dangerous pollution like mercury, smog and methane, butt now withdrew an EPA request for information about methane pollution from oil and gas drilling. So much for concern.
This is important — beyond our desire to have public officials with integrity, our kids’ health is at stake.
@@ CO2? Nah, Not a Problem, Says EPA Head Scott Pruitt – countering almost all climate scientists and world leaders on climate change.
OO EPA Scott Pruitt’s Office Deluged With Angry Callers After He Questions The Science Of Global Warming - The calls to Pruitt’s main line, 202-564-4700, reached such a high volume that agency officials created an impromptu call center, said three agency employees.
“Countries are going to pay for climate change one way or another.” — Brigadier General Stephen A. Cheney, USMC (ret). Photo Credit Charlie Riedel at Associated Press
OO Business, Military, Faith Leaders & Electeds Slam Scott Pruitt’s Climate Denial Takeaways – a sampling:
- “Countries are going to pay for climate change one way or another. The best way to pay for it is by tackling the root causes of climate change and cutting greenhouse gas emissions.” — Brigadier General Stephen A. Cheney, USMC (ret), CEO of the American Security Project.
- Whether Pruitt believes CO2 drives climate change or not, by law “ he is required under the Clean Air Act to promulgate policies that reduce carbon pollution… to reduce the risk of serious national security consequences of climate change.” — Andrew Holland, Director of Studies, American Security Project.
- “…2015’s record temperatures are the result of the gradual, yet accelerating, build up of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in Earth’s atmosphere. Scientists have been warning about it for decades and now we are experiencing it.”— NASA Chief Major General Charles Frank Bolden, Jr., (USMC-Ret.)
What Climate Change? Ignoring climate change is an invitation to experience ever more dangerous levels of it, sooner and faster.
“Pruitt is just wrong:
- Carbon dioxide emissions pose an enormous risk to human health.
- Carbon pollution is the leading contributor to greenhouse gases that cause climate change.
- Climate change is causing more heatwaves and drought, more intense extreme weather events,
- expanded range of disease-carrying ticks and mosquitoes and a host of other threats to health…
- The science is clear: We need immediate action to reduce carbon emissions to protect public health.”
— Dr. Georges Benjamin, MD, Executive Director, American Public Health Association
- “Scott Pruitt’s statement questioning climate science is deeply troubling. Businesses in the US and elsewhere are keenly aware that human activity is remaking the climate in ways that create disruption and business risk. … his approach will undermine the conditions that businesspeople need to innovate, create jobs, and compete in the global marketplace.”
— Aron Cramer, President and CEO, Business for Social Responsibility
Credit Robin Loznak
OO Trump Doesn’t Want This Climate Lawsuit To Go To Trial
– It Could Change Everything A groundbreaking climate lawsuit, brought against the federal government by 21 children, has been hailed as a bold new strategy to press for US climate action.
OO Activists Rush To Save Government Science - Disappearing data include pie charts on a DOE website illustrating the link between coal and greenhouse gas emissions as well as the description on an Interior Department page of the potential environmental effects of hydraulic fracturing on federal land.
This points to a nonpartisan problem of digital-age government:
- Much of the scientific information so painstakingly collected over the decades,
- at a cost of hundreds of billions of dollars,
- remains held only by the government,
- scattered on thousands of servers in hundreds of departments
- where it may not be backed up and could be impossible to find.
Peter Gleick: Protest Against Trump Science Policies Source The Desert Sun
OO Climatologist Urges Mass Protest Against Trump Govt Amid Global Warming Denial – Peter Gleick warned US democracy is under attack from the “uninhibited use of lies, false statements and bad science.”
OO California Girds To Battle Feds To Save The Environment it probably won’t be easy.
CLIMATE MYTH BUSTERS!
OO Democrats Urge EPA Not To Reopen Vehicle Fuel Efficiency Rules which have shown to be attainable and in the past have signficantly upped energy efficiency, and cut usage.
Credit Mike Luckovich for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
OO Republicans Want To Undo A Rule That Protects Taxpayers And The Environment
OO GOP Owns Trump Attack On The Earth
Credit Michael Lukovich
OO Congressional Energy And Climate Committees Are Loaded With Ex-Fossil Fuel Lobbyists
OO The Coming GOP Assault On Regulations Republicans in Congress have embarked on a potentially long lasting effort to make it much harder for federal agencies to create new regulations in the future.
OO February’s Heat, Brought To You By Climate Change - A bonanza of heat records fell throughout February over most of the US, with research showing it was made possible by climate change.
This February was the second warmest on record for the US, averaging 7.3F above normal, the fifth-most anomalously warm month ever recorded
OO “Weirdly Warm” 2017: Could We Set Another Record? 2017 has been weirdly warm so far despite a lack of El Nino conditions. If Jan/Feb temps were representative it would end up surpassing 2016.
Increasing Ocean Surface Heat Is Wiping Out Coral Reefs Worldwide transforming kaleidoscopic corals to white, then brown skeletons.
OO Oceans Storing Up Staggering Amounts Of Heat:
‘The Memory Of All Of The Past Climate Change’ - The world is getting warmer every year, thanks to climate change. Takeaways:
- most of that heat is going into the oceans – especially the Atlantic and Southern oceans —
- far more than previously estimated,
- which explains why sea levels have been rising so much –
- all that heat is expanding the seawater.
- Increasing heat moving into the oceans
- Could lead to ocean “dead spots”
- Where a hot surface layer prevents mixing with cooler lower ones.
- Mixing is essential in moving nutrients and fueling marine life.
A Prescient 2001 Cartoon Credit Tom Toles at the Washington Post
OO Earth’s Oceans Are Warming 13% Faster Than Thought, And Accelerating as human activities are pumping climate changing CO2 faster and faster into the atmosphere – at a rate that has increased 40+ % since 1980 says new research. We are speeding the heating of the planet, which is speeding climate change.
OO Rate Of Ocean Warming Has Nearly Doubled Over Two Decades study says, and the extra heat has reached deeper waters, finds data stretching back to 1960.
Droughts and Heat Set Earth On Fire with wildfires occurring throughout the world. Source NASA
OO Great Plains Wildfires March 2017:
Record Heat, Drought And Strong Winds Produced Extreme Fire Condition
OO Oklahoma Wildfires Burn Into Kansas, Prompt Evacuations – homes and cattle were lost as well.
OO The Biggest, Worst Droughts Can Travel 1000s Of Kilometers From Their Origin and do so in predictable patterns, travelling across continents, shows a new study. That discovery could:
- shed light on how droughts evolve in space and time,
- provide new insights for water managers, and
- save huge numbers of lives through more effective planning.
- affected 1+ billion people between 1994 and 2013.
- 300,000 people are estimated to have died in the 1983 Ethiopian drought,
- 3,000,000 people are estimated to have died in China’s 1928 drought.
OO Heatwave Frequency Rises Twice As Fast In The Poorest Countries new research shows.
OO Earth’s Thermal Shield Rapidly Disappearing:
Arctic Circle Could Be Ice-Free With Just A 2C Rise In World Temperature - for the first time in 100,000 years, scientists have warned. Keeping global heating to a 2C rise is the goal of the Paris Climate Agreement.
Loss of Arctic sea ice:
- Could have ‘catastrophic’ weather effects in much of the northern hemisphere;
- Will speed up global warming:
- Arctic summer sea ice acts like a thermal shield,
- reflecting much sunlight (and the heat it represents) away from Earth;
- its loss will vastly increase the sunlight absorbed
- and then emitted as heat into the atmosphere.
OO Arctic Sea Ice May Vanish Even If World Achieves Climate Goal
- Arctic summer sea ice has been shrinking sharply and steadily,
- And has a nearly 40% chance of disappearing under a 2C rise in heat,
- But would probably survive if we keep current average temperatures.
OO Just As Earth’s Thermal Shield, Arctic Ice, Is Shrinking,
Trump Wants To Stop Monitoring It , A Costly Mistake – by defunding the satellites that do so. But Americans will pay for it, because climate ignorance is rewarded with catastrophes.
OO Effects Of Global Warming On Display In Antarctica creating dramatic changes in its glaciers.
GOOD CLEAN NEWS
OO Solar Power Growth Leaps By 50% Worldwide Thanks To US And China in their rush to go solar in 2016., figures show.
OO Clean Energy Is Now As Big As Pharmaceutical Manufacturing In The US
With $200 billion in revenue, it’s sneaking up on consumer electronics.
OO Alaska: Wind Power, The Cheapest Rural Power Source cheaper than hauling fossil fuels to supply rural power. Wind Farms are springing up in communities across the state.
OO Wind Power Blows Through Nuclear, Coal As Costs Plunge At Sea
Water and electric power plants don’t mix well naturally, unless you add some wind.
OO A New World Leader Is Emerging In The Battle Against Climate Change: China – it’s a much larger climate changing polluter than the US, but it’s doing far more to address the climate change it is causing, unlike the US.
OO China Is Moving Closer To A Carbon Tax For Cutting Emissions and away from the EU’s emissions trading model, a senior Chinese official said.
OO Harvard Disburses $1 Million For Climate Change Research to multidisciplinary research programs across five different schools at Harvard. Nice, but far outweighed by government cuts to research.
OO UK Carbon Emissions Drop To Lowest Level Since 19th Century, as coal use continues to plummet, analysis suggests.
OO Saudi Aramco’s Green Energy Push Seen Widening Appeal Of Its Initial Public Offering of stock. When this, the world’s largest oil company, sells shares for its foray into renewables, it may lure investors who would otherwise be forced to stay away – but some are demanding transparency.
OO Unhealthy Environment Causes 1 In 4 Child Deaths under the age of 5, both inside and outside the home, say 2 new reports from the World Health Organization – that’s more than 1.7 million children dying annually.
OO World Facing Gravest Humanitarian Crisis Since 1945
Due To African Drought with 20 million people facing starvation and famine in Yemen, Somalia, South Sudan and Nigeria, the UN has warned.
OO Climate Change Could Be Increasing The Footprint Of Lyme Disease – as it increases the range and number of disease-carrying ticks.
OO Climate Change May Drive More Migration In Future residents in 4 European nations say.
OO Future Climate Change Will Affect Plants And Soil Differently says a new study. Takeaways:
- soil carbon loss is more sensitive to climate change compared to carbon taken up by plants.
- In drier regions, soil carbon loss decreased,
- but in wetter regions soil carbon loss increased,
- which could further up CO2 levels in the atmosphere.
OO Climate Change May Hurt US Agricultural Productivity Agriculture needs to ramp up its response to climate change, especially in the Midwest, says a new study.
Alaska Houses and Buildings Are Already Sinking into melting permafrost. Credit Bee Wuethrich
OO Alaska’s BIG Problem: It Is Not Prepared
For Melting Permafrost Or Erosion Under Climate Change
OO Source Of Mekong, Yellow And Yangtze Rivers Drying Up as the headwaters of the Tibetan plateau are evaporating because of climate change and desertification. Creating parks that preserve watersheds could help slow the process.
OO Australia: Climate Change To Blame For Flatlining Wheat Yield Gains says the government research agency, CSIRO.
OO Australia: State Of The Environment Report Warns
Climate Change Impacts Could Be Irreversible even as it increases.
Source Wired Magazine
OO Venice Will Vanish Underwater Within A Century If Global Warming Is Not Stalled - climate change study warns.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
@@ Climate Change 101: Why Care? What You Need to Know - Bill Nye tells it all in five minutes amid graphic, dynamic, engaging, compelling imagery. Check it Out!
OO How Climate Change Battles Are Increasingly Being Fought, And Won, In Court Takeaways:
- Climate change responsibility cases get climate change facts on public record.
- Successful rulings have far reaching political and social effects in other countries.
OO Taiwan: Prison Aims To Jump-Start Island’s Solar Power Dream employing prisoners to install solar panels in a national program to replace nuclear with clean renewable power.
OO Norway’s Wealth Fund May Blacklist Firms Over Carbon Emissions suggests the fund’s ethics watchdog.
OO Diet And Global Climate Change:
Changing The First, Tackles The Second – says a series of studies reaching the same conclusion: our diets must change to help successfully mitigate climate change, and climate change mitigation must be included in policies to improve the food system.
Just substituting healthier sources for half the calories of a typical American diet, the study found, would:
- Reduce by 20-40% the relative risk of coronary heart disease, colorectal cancer and Type 2 diabetes. Health care costs went down by $77-93 Billion annually;
- Drop direct greenhouse gas emissions by 222-826 kilograms per person per year.
OO Want To Cut Carbon Emissions?
Try Growing Cement Bricks With Bacteria A North Carolina startup grows “biocement” bricks to circumvent the hefty load of fossil fuels needed for normal cement.
OO Pressed, Not Baked: A Green Recipe For Making Tiles And Bricks by compressing the raw ingredients creates bricks stronger than concrete, with far less energy needed, show Swiss researchers.
OO Australia: A Single Type Of Microbe Turns Lake Pink as hot weather evaporates it, making it so salty, only one type of saltwater microbe can survive – and it’s pink, coloring a biological desert, for now, until the rains return.
But the loss of biodiversity throughout the world isn’t rosy and it’s permanent, for the world or us.
OO Chief EPA Environmental Justice Official Resigns,
Urges Protection Of Vulnerable Communities - Mustafa Ali ends a career of 24 years there, as deep cuts to program affecting the poor are prepared.
OO New Mexico Lawmakers, Residents Voice Support For Federal Methane Waste Rule
which is under attack in Congress.
OO Shell CEO Urges Switch To Clean Energy
As He Plans Hefty Renewable Spending
Just One Valiant Voice of Many Source Twitter
OO Rogue Twitter Accounts Fight To Preserve The Voice Of Government Science
OO Do Scientists Lose Credibility When They Become Political? Nope says a new study.
OO Gas From The Amazon Or Fracked In Europe? UK faces critics as it receives its first natural gas cargo from the Peruvian Amazon. Is there no better alternative?
FOSSIL FUEL FOLLIES
OO The US Has One Inspector For Every 5,000 Miles Of Pipeline
—Or Twice The Length Of The Country, Each to cover the 2.7 million miles of pipeline snaked across the US. Some of the pipes carry hazardous chemicals, others carry crude oil, and still others carry highly pressurized natural gas. Feeling safe?
OO Alaska Gas Pipeline Leaking 200,000 Cubic Feet Daily
Into Fisheries Habitat as regulators demand repair of the leak that started in December, citing public hazard.
OO Pipeline Owner Reaches Milestone In Iowa: 28 Spills Since 2000
Whatever The Price of Oil, Its Climate Costs Continue to Soar
OO Oil Price Will Soar Sharply In The Next Decade Without Investment In Capacity and this will create economic shockwaves due to our dependence on cheap oil for growth, says Daily Climate Editor Brian Bienkowski, who recommends this read.
OO Trump’s Gulf Of Mexico Oil And Gas Drilling Proposal
Looks A Lot Like Obama’s -opening up 73 million acres to gas and oil leasing.
OO The Shale Industry Is Scrambling To Catch Up To Its Own Boom
FIXING CLIMATE CHANGE
@@ A Simple And Smart Way To Fix Climate Change given by Dan Miller in 2014 at a Ted talk suggests a way to profit as we tackle climate change, by finally charging those who sell and use fossil fuels – and distributing the revenues back to all of us.
The strategy is sure to speed transition to clean renewable energy. What’s not to like? Check it out!
Ggg population matters2 green
If we do not live sustainably,
Our children will die inhumanely.
@@ Myth vs Truth: The Huge Value of Contraception is an incisive, heartfelt recognition of the value of contraception by Sarah Brown, CEO, The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy
Unintended Pregnancy Costs US Taxpayers:
Unintended Pregnancies Cost US Taxypayers Nearly $11 Billion Yearlythe Guttmacher Institute
Teen Childbearing Alone Cost US Taxpayers $9+ Billion In 2010
And the costs of raising a child usually ensures decades, if not a life, of poverty for its mother.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Help prevent unintended pregnancies in your community:
publicize where women can access affordable contraception.
They can go here to find locations:
And there are many more actions you can do, right here.
SOLAR KEEPS DRIVING
OO South Australia Rooftop Solar Installs Surge After Statewide Blackout
OO India: Barefoot Solar Warriors Take On Gender Injustice And Climate Change – a college is training uneducated women to be solar technologists in India and developing countries worldwide via Indian subsidies. India itself is embarking on a massic transition to solar power.
Check it out here, right now!
WHY WE SHOULD ACT NOW: RISING RISKS
Daily Climate Change: Global Map of Unusual Temperatures, Mar 23, 2017
How unusual has the weather been? No one event is “caused” by climate change, but global warming, which is predicted to increase unusual, extreme weather, is having a daily effect on weather, worldwide.
Unusually heavy rains have released California from a SURFACE water drought, but significantly depleted California aquifers keep 60+% of the state in a GROUNDWATER drought, which will likely take decades to disappear. It also means this major US agricultural region has a small safety net, when the next dry year strikes. Dance in the rain while you can!
Meanwhile, most of the US is experiencing unusually warmer temperatures.
Much of the areas surrounding the North Pole are experiencing much warmer than normal temperatures – not good news for our Arctic thermal shield of ice. Hotter than usual temperatures continue to dominate human habitats.
There is, of course, much more news on the consequences and solutions to climate change. To get it, check out this annotated resource list I’ve compiled, “Climate Change News Resources,” at Wordpress.com here. For more information on the science of climate change, its consequences and solutions you can view my annotated list of online information resources here.
To help you understand just what science does and does NOT do, check this out!
Every day is Earth Day, folks, as I was reminded by this wild flower I photographed one spring. Making the U.S. a global clean energy leader will ensure a heck of a lot more jobs, and a clean, safe future. If you’d like to join the increasing numbers of people who want to TELL Congress that they will vote for clean energy candidates you can do so here. It’s our way of letting Congress know there’s a strong clean energy voting bloc out there.
By: Mary Ellen Harte
Mary Ellen (Mel) Harte Ph.D. is a biologist who writes on climate change and population issues. She co-authored the free downloadable book, "Cool the Earth, Save the Economy", at Cool the Earth (http://cooltheearth.us/), and runs the Climate Change Reports blog (http://climatechangereports.wordpress.com/). Her work as a diagnostic plant photographer also appears at forestryimages.org.
original story HERE
Get New Climageddon book: Click here for a new book about the global warming emergency and what you can do.
Sign Up for Free Global Warming Blog RSS feed by clicking here.
Donate to help end Global Warming
Share This Blog Post: If you would like to share this blog post, go to the original shorter version of this post and look to lower right for the large green Share button. Ask them to sign up too for the Global Warming Blog.