Mission 2020: A new global strategy to ‘rapidly’ reduce carbon emissions...
Figure from Figueres et al. (2017)
The aim of Mission 2020 is to bring “new urgency” to the “global climate conversation” with a call to begin “rapidly declining” global greenhouse gas emissions by 2020.
Today, in a co-authored commentary published in the journal Nature, Figueres sets out further details about Mission 2020’s six central calls to action. The commentary is endorsed by 61 signatories, which include climate scientists as well as a range of NGO, religious, political and business leaders.
Mission 2020: A new global strategy to ‘rapidly’ reduce carbon emissions by Zeke Hausfather, Carbon Brief, June 28, 2017
Links posted on Facebook
Sun June 25 2017
- Coral Reefs Could Be Gone in 30 Years by Laura Parker & Craig Welch, National Geographic, June 23, 2017
- Summary of the Great Southwest U.S. Heat Wave of 2017 by Jeff Masters, Category 6, Wunderblog, June 24, 2017
- Why is China suddenly leading the climate change effort? It’s a business decision. , Analysis by Roselyn Hsueh, Monkey Business, Washington Post, June 23, 2017
- International Science Group Decries Trump Climate Pact Exit by Randy Showstack, Eos.org, June 21, 2017
- The Challenge of Fighting Mistrust in Science by Julie Beck, 2017 Ideas Report, The Atlantic, June 24, 2017
- Attention Scott Pruitt: Red teams and blue teams are no way to conduct climate science, Commentary by Benjamin Santer, Kerry Emanuel & Naomi Oreskes, Capital Weather Gang, Washington Post, June 21, 2017
- Energy wonks have a meltdown over the US going 100 percent renewable. Why? by Joshua D. Rhodes, The Conversation US, June 22, 2017
- The fact is: Facts don’t matter to climate deniers by Eric Holthaus, Grist, June 23, 2017
Mon June 26 2017
- Climate Change Drives Lakes Toward Ecological Tipping Points by Bob Berwyn, InsideClimate News, June 23, 2017
- Meet the horsemen of our environmental apocalypse by Robet F Kennedy Jr, Salon, June 25, 2017
- New Orleans mayor: US climate change policy cannot wait for Trump, AP/Guardian, June 24, 2017
- Extreme Heat Scorches Southern Arizona by Jonah Engel Bromwich, New York Times, June 25, 2017
- Macron teams up with Schwarzenegger to troll Trump in climate change video by Adam Rosenberg, Mashable, June 25, 2017
- New study confirms the oceans are warming rapidly by John Abraham, Climae Consensus - the 97%, Guardian, June 26, 2017
- Sea level rise isn’t just happening, it’s getting faster by Chris Mooney, Energy & Environment, Washington Post, June 26, 2017
- Carbon in Atmosphere Is Rising, Even as Emissions Stabilize by Justin Gillis, Climate, New York Times, June 26, 2017
Tue June 27 2017
- The Southwest U.S. heat wave broke dozens of temperature records, giving us a glimpse at our climate future by Andrew Freedman, Mashable, June 23, 2017
- Hail of a forecast: Climate change means fewer hailstorms but bigger hail by Judson Jones, CNN, June 26, 2017
- Mayors, Sidestepping Trump, Vow to Fill Void on Climate Change by Lizette Alvaraz, New York Times, June 26, 2017
- Scientists just proved that wildfires dumped a huge amount of soot atop Greenland’s ice sheet by Chris Mooney, Energy & Environment, Washington Post, June 26, 2017
- Trump and Modi Wrap Climate Change Differences in Shroud of Silence by Nicholas Kusnetz, InsideClimate News, June 26, 2017
- Lightning-Caused Fires Rise in Arctic as the Region Warms by Scott Waldman, E&E News/Scientific American, June 27, 2017
- Antarctic sea ice levels have shrunk to record low levels for late June by Jason Samenow, Capital Weather Gang, June 26, 2017
- World’s Largest Wind Turbine Would Be Taller Than the Empire State Building by Annie Sneed, Scientific American, June 26, 2017
Wed June 28 2017
- Tropical viruses: coming soon to Europe? Researchers in Bayreuth are investigating the impact of climate change University of Bayreuth, Press Release June 20, 2017
- The world’s tropical zone is expanding, and Australia should be worried by Steve Tuten, The Conversation AU, June 28, 2017
- Europe Doesn’t Need American Climate Scientists. It Needs American Climate Data by Jennifer Duggan, Bloomberg News, June 26, 2017
- Climate scientists just debunked deniers' favorite argument by Dana Nuccitelli, Climate Consenus - the 9&%, Guardian, June 28, 2017
- Three years to safeguard our climate by Christiana Figueres, Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, Gail Whiteman, Johan Rockstr, Anthony Hobley & Stefan Rahmstorf, Nature, June 28, 2017
- The 'debate' Rick Perry wants to hold on global warming is total BS by Andrew Freedman, Mashable, June 27, 2017
- G20 stage set for climate change battle by Ruby Russell, Deutsche Welle (DW), June 28, 2017
- West On Fire: More Than 20 Wildfires Blazing by Pam Wright, Weather Underground, June 28, 2017
Thu June 29 2017
- Overlooked Water Loss in Plants Could Throw Off Climate Models by Heidi Ledford, Nature, June 28, 2017
- Lightning-Caused Fires on the Rise in the World’s Largest Forest by Laura Parker, National Geographic, June 26, 2017
- How climate change helped Lyme disease invade America by Julia Belluz, Energy & Environment, Vox, June 26, 2017
- CCC: A plan to fill the UK’s climate policy gap is ‘urgently’ needed by Jocelyn, Carbon Brief, June 29, 2017
- China and the EU could issue a formal climate change statement by next week, ex-UN official says by Zhenua Lu, South China Morning Post, June 29, 2017
- Trump’s ‘Energy Dominance’ Push Ignores Some Important Realities by Marianne Lavelle & John H Cushman Jr, InsideClimate News, June 29, 2017
- One fifth of the world's population could be a refugee by 2100 by Blaine Friedlander, World Economic Forum, June 26, 2017
- The American South Will Bear the Worst of Climate Change’s Costs by Robinson Meyer, The Atlantic, June 29, 2017
Fri June 30 2017
- The Rising Tide of Evidence Against Blaming Wind and Solar for Grid Instability by Jeff St John, Greentech Media (GTM), June 28, 2017
- Trump’s ‘energy dominance’ week is dominated by misleading claims by Steven Mufson;& Chris Mooney, Energy & Environment, Washington Post, June 29, 2017
- Merkel issues warning to Trump ahead of G20 summit by Noah Barkin & Roberta Rampton, Reuters, June 29, 2019
- Mission 2020: A new global strategy to ‘rapidly’ reduce carbon emissions by Zeke Hausfather, Carbon Brief, June 28, 2017
- SkS Analogy 9 - The greenhouse effect is a stack of blankets by Evan, Skeptical Science, Jan 29, 2017
- Trump fact check: Climate policy benefits vastly exceed costs by Dana Nuccitelli, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, June, 29, 2017
- Climate Change Will Hit Southern Poor Hardest, U.S. Economic Analysis Shows by Phil McKenna, InsideClimate News, June 29, 2017
Sat July 1 2017
- Iranian city soars to record 129 degrees: Near hottest on Earth in modern measurements by Jason Samenow, Capital Weather Gang, Washington Post, June 29, 2017
- The President’s ‘Energy Week’ is an Ode to Fossil Fuel Addiction by Rachel Cleetus, Union of Concerned Scientists, June 28, 2017
- Reality Check: The End of Growth in the Tar Sands. So Now What? by Hannah McKinnon, Oil Change International, June 29, 2017
- Europe's extreme June heat clearly linked to climate change, research shows by Damian Carrington, Climate Change, Guardian, June 30, 2017
- Climate Change Could Spark Another Great Recession. This Time, It May Be Permanent by Justin Worland, Time Magazine, June 29, 2017
- Antarctica's expanding ice-free areas threaten animals and plants, study says by Doyle Rice, USA Today, June 28, 2017
Posted on 1 July 2017 by John Hartz
original story HERE
Share This Blog Post: If you would like to share this blog post, go to the original shorter version of this post and look to lower right for the large green Share button. Ask them to sign up too for the Global Warming Blog.
To View Our: current positions, opinions, agreement or disagreement with this blog article or its facts, click here.
Sign up for the Global Warming Blog for free by clicking here. In your email you will receive critical news, research and the warning signs for the next global warming disaster.
Click here to learn how global warming has become irreversible and what you can do to protect your family and assets.
To share this blog post: Go to the original shorter version of this post. Look to lower right for the large green Share button.
To view our current agreement or disagreement with this blog article, click here.