A global map of the August 2017 LOTI (land-ocean temperature index) anomaly, relative to the 1951-1980 August average. Part of Antarctica is gray because data from some stations there were not yet available at the time of this posting.
August 2017 was second warmest on record
August 2017 was the second warmest August in 137 years of modern record-keeping, according to a monthly analysis of global temperatures by scientists at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York.
The measured value is consistent with the trend in global average surface temperatures that has been observed during the past few decades. Last month was +0.85 degrees Celsius warmer than the mean August temperature from 1951-1980.
The GISTEMP monthly temperature anomalies superimposed on a 1980-2015 mean seasonal cycle. View larger image.
It was surpassed by August 2016, which was still affected by the 2015-2016 El Niño and was 0.99 degrees Celsius warmer than normal. However, August 2017 was about +0.2 degrees warmer than the August following the last large El Niño event in 1997-1998.
The monthly analysis by the GISS team is assembled from publicly available data acquired by about 6,300 meteorological stations around the world, ship- and buoy-based instruments measuring sea surface temperature, and Antarctic research stations.
The modern global temperature record begins around 1880 because previous observations didn't cover enough of the planet. Monthly analyses are sometimes updated when additional data becomes available, and the results are subject to change.
- August 2017 was second warmest on record, NASA's Global Climate Change, Sep 18, 2017
Links posted on Facebook
Sun Sep 17, 2017
- What's The Effect Of So Many Wildfires On Global Warming? by Melody Edwards, Wyoming Public Media Statewide Network, Sep 15, 2017
- The Florida Keys are the canaries in the climate-change coalmine by Joanna Guthrie, Guardian, Sep 15, 2017
- Downtown Charleston is flooding more, with or without hurricanes. Here’s why by Sammy Fretwell, The State, Sep 16, 2017
- Trump may replace Obama's big climate rule — not just repeal it by Emily Holden, Politico, Sep 14, 2017
- Yes, climate change made Harvey and Irma worse by Wayne Drash, CNN, Swp 15, 2017
- Maria Threatens Leeward Islands; Jose's Surf Will Batter Northeast U.S. Beaches by Bob Henson, Category 6, Weather Underground, Sep 17, 2017
- U.S. attends meeting on Paris climate accord, still plans to withdraw by Allison Lampert, Reuters, Sep 16, 2017
- Top Trump officials signal US could stay in Paris climate agreement by Joanna Walters, Guardian, Sep 17, 2017
Mon Sep 18, 2017
- Why the wiring of our brains makes it hard to stop climate change, Op-ed by David G. Victor, Nick Obradovich & Dillon Amaya, Los Angeles Times, Sep 17, 2017
- The weather report is climate science, too by Dawn Stover, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Sep 14, 2017
- Hurricane Maria: 'Significant' strengthening likely as storm nears land by Susannah Cullinane and Holly Yan, CNN, Sep 18, 2017
- Real estate industry blocks sea-level warnings that could crimp profits on coastal properties by Stewart Leavanworth, Miami Herald, Sep 13, 2017
- The Real Unknown of Climate Change: Our Behavior by Justin Gillis, Climate, New York Times, Sep 18, 2017
- Next EPA science advisers could include those who question climate change by Chris Mooney, Energy & Environment, Washington Post, Sep 18, 2017
- Hurricane Maria packs a Category 5 punch toward Dominica by Holly Yan & Joe Sterling, CNN, Sep 18, 2017
- Scientific models saved lives from Harvey and Irma. They can from climate change too by Dana Nuccitelli, Climate Consensus - the 97%, Guardian, Sep 18, 2017
Tue Sep 19, 2017
- Press regulator censures Mail on Sunday for global warming claims by Fiona Harvey, Cimate Change, Guardian, Sep 17, 2017
- What will be in the next IPCC climate change assessment, Guest Post by Valérie Masson-Delmotte, Carbon Brief, Sep 15, 2017
- New climate change calculations could buy the Earth some time — if they’re right by Chris Mooney, Energy & Environment, Washington Post, Sep 18, 2017
- Australia's record-breaking winter beats average highs by 2C, Climate Council says by Michael McGowan, Guardian, Sep 18, 2017
- Globe sees 2nd warmest year to date, 3rd warmest August on record, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, Sep 18, 2017
- August 2017 was second warmest on record, NASA's Global Climate Change, Sep 18, 2017
- The 2017 Hurricane Season Really Is More Intense Than Normal by Maggie Astor, New York Times, Sep 19, 2017
- Ignore Trump’s Words on Climate and the Paris Treaty — Look at What He’s Doing by Heather Hurlbut, Daily Intelligencer, New York Magazine, Sep 19, 2017
Wed Sep 20, 2017
- Justin Trudeau and Theresa May form alliance on climate battlefield by Carl Meyer, National Observer, Sep 18, 2017
- Here’s What Trump’s EPA Boss Was Up to While Disasters Struck by Rebecca Leber, Mother Jones, Sep 18, 2017
- The scariest thing about 2017’s hurricanes: They got really bad really fast by Chris Mooney, Energy & Environment, Washington Post, Sep 19, 2017
- Arctic sea ice summer minimum in 2017 is eighth lowest on record by Daisy Dunne & Robert McSweeney, Carbon Brief, Sep 20, 2017
- I’m a TV weatherman. Here's what happened when I discussed climate change on air. by Sean Sublette, Vox, Sep 19, 2017
- Deniers dismiss link between climate change, super-hurricanes as ‘idle chatter.’ It’s anything but. by Joe Romm, Think Progress, Sep 19, 2017
- Why the 1.5C warming limit is not yet a geophysical impossibility, Guest Post by Richard Millar, Carbon Brief, Sep 20, 2017
- New reports detail how to limit global warming, warn of ‘existential’ risk from not acting soon by Andy Murdock, University of California News, Sep 19, 2017
Thu Sep 21, 2017
- Climate Change Is Already Making People Sicker by Alexandra Sifferlin, Time Magazine, Sep 20, 2017
- So much for the climate change ‘hoax’ by Steven Stomberg, Washington Post, Sep 19, 2017
- How Can U.S. States Fight Climate Change if Trump Quits the Paris Accord? by Brad Plumer, Climate, New York Times, Sep 20, 2017
- Factcheck: Climate models have not ‘exaggerated’ global warming by Zeke Hausfather, Carbon Brief, Sep 21, 2017
- Theresa May speaks out against Trump climate change stance at UN by Heather Stewart, Guardian, Sep 20, 2017
- San Francisco, Oakland Sue Oil Giants Over Climate Change, InsideClimate News, Sep 20, 2017
- New Climate Study Doesn't Contradict Global Warming, No Matter What Breitbart Says by Maddie Stone Gizmodo, Sep 21, 2017
- Administration officials meet to develop climate strategy by Andrew Restuccia & Emily Holden, Politico, Sep 21, 2017
Fri Sep 22, 2017
- The World's Soaring CO2 Levels Visualized as Skyscrapers by John Metcalf, City Lab, Sep 19, 2017
- Mary Robinson on Hurricanes, Monsoons and the Human Rights of Climate Change by Pat Mitchell, Moyers & Company, Sep 21, 2017
- After the storms have passed: Rebuilding with climate change in mind, Analysis by Alice C Hill, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Sep 21, 2017
- Remembering our dear friend Andy Skuce by Dana Nuccitelli, Skeptical Science, Sep 21, 2017
- Devastated Puerto Rico Tests Fairness of Response to Climate Disasters by Phil McKenna, InsideClimate News, Sep 22, 2017
- Is there really still a chance for staying below 1.5 °C global warming? by Stefan Rahmstorf, Real Climate, Sep 22, 2017
- More Havoc as Category 3 Maria Plows Northward by Bob Henson & Jeff Masters, Category 6, Weather Underground, Sep 22, 2017
- One of the most bizarre ideas about climate change just found more evidence in its favor by Chris Mooney, Energy & Environment, Washington Post, Sep 19, 2017
Sat Sep 23, 2017
- Who Should Pay for Damage Associated With Climate Change – and Who Should Be Compensated? by June Javelosa, Earth & Energy, Futurism, Sep 21, 2017
- Human frontiers: How much heat can the body and mind take? by Zoe Tabary, Thomson Reuters Foundation, Sep 22, 2017
- Bureau of Meteorology attacks pushed by 'fever swamp' of climate denial by Graham Readfearn, Planet Oz, Guardian, Sep 21, 2017
- German election 2017: Where the parties stand on energy and climate change by Jocelyn Timperley, Carbon Brief, Sep 21, 2017
- New research, September 11-17, 2017 by Ari Jokimäki, Skeptical Science, Sep 22, 2017
- Next-generation models revealing climate change effect on hurricanes by Richard Gray, Horizon, Sep 22, 2017
Posted on 23 September 2017 by John Hartz
original story HERE
Sign up for the Global Warming Blog for free by clicking here. In your email you will receive critical news, research and the warning signs for the next global warming disaster.
Click here to learn how global warming has become irreversible and what you can do to protect your family and assets.
To share this blog post: Go to the original shorter version of this post. Look to lower right for the large green Share button.
To view our current agreement or disagreement with this blog article, click here.