This is the first time our climate change think tank has ever issued a climate change consequence RED ALERT.
On February 3, 2024, something terrible happened in the climate system. The carbon level reached 426.50 parts per million (ppm) in the atmosphere. About one year ago, on February 8, 2023, the atmospheric carbon level was 420.12 ppm.
At this carbon level of 425 ppm and beyond, we have crossed a critical carbon ppm tipping point and threshold. If this carbon six ppm per increase level was not an anomaly, or if only a carbon 3 or 4 ppm annual increase continues, things will get worse considerably faster than we described below.
That one-year total increase of six carbon ppm of toxic polluting carbon entering our atmosphere is horrible news. Our previous post-industrial age average annual increase in atmospheric carbon was between 1 to 3 carbon ppm.
This one-year carbon six ppm increase must now be called humanity's last warning signal.
What does this climate change crossing of a critical tipping point news mean to you, your family, your business, and your community?
1. Many unavoidable severe consequences of climate change are accelerating significantly faster than we predicted.
2. Whatever you see currently in the consequences of climate change is minor compared to what is coming. The climate change consequences you see now are only a vague shadow of the coming consequences, which will now begin dramatically increasing in frequency, severity, and size.
3. Crossing the carbon 425 ppm threshold on February 3 means we have far less time to prepare for what is coming.
4. Prudent individuals and businesses are already preparing, adapting, and building climate change resilience using the information found on this page.
In a White Paper we published in 2017 called Climageddon, we forecast that humanity would eventually reach the annual increase of carbon five ppm per year, but not nearly this soon. If it continues, this carbon six ppm yearly increase in atmospheric carbon will accelerate the climate change nightmare for humanity.
It will dramatically accelerate the timeframes for predicted climate change:
b. tipping points,
c. feedback loops, and
d. points of no return.
An early February 2024 Scripts Institute of Oceanography carbon graph below shows we crossed the carbon 425 ppm threshold.
Why is the carbon 425-450 ppm threshold the last-chance climate change tipping point
For many reasons, crossing the carbon 425 ppm threshold is a dangerous major milestone in our escalating climate change emergency. In 2016, we predicted that once humanity reached the atmospheric carbon level of 425 to 450 parts per million (ppm), climate change consequences would no longer increase in frequency, severity, and size slowly and gradually from year to year.
We predicted that once the carbon 425-450 ppm threshold range was breached, climate change consequences would increase dramatically in frequency, severity, and size. In 2016, Job One also predicted reaching carbon 425 would not happen until mid to late 2025.
The main reason for the dramatic increase in climate change consequences at this carbon 425-450 ppm threshold level is that our climate would cross significantly more tipping points, feedback loops, and points of no return within its systems and subsystems.
James Hansen, probably the world's most respected climate scientist, stated that when humanity crossed the Carbon 386 ppm level, humanity would enter into runaway global warming for the first time. Humanity crossed that carbon 386 ppm level in 2015. (Runaway here means no longer under human control.)
In 2016, we also predicted that once we crossed the carbon 450 ppm level, humanity would cross into the second phase of irreversible global warming.
The second phase of irreversible global warming is so bad that you'll have to go to this link and read Climate Change Fact #4 to grasp the true horror and the climate science behind the climate change death spiral we have just crossed into and entered. Please take the time to read Climate Change Fact #4 in the preceding link. You will have little doubt about what you need to do next to protect yourself and those you love.
Here is another shocker. We are now failing to fix the climate change emergency at an even greater and faster rate!
Below is proof that our governments are not making any effective progress in reducing climate change. Not only are we not making any real progress, but we are increasing the climate change emergency at faster and faster rates.
Here is how we prove this shocking no effective progress fact.
Measuring atmospheric greenhouse gas levels is the most accurate measure of real climate change reduction progress. The graph below shows the story of the three primary fossil fuel-burning atmospheric greenhouse gases: carbon (CO2), methane (CH4), and Nitrous Oxide (N2O). Remember that atmospheric methane is about 80 more potent than carbon for raising global temperature.
To help you with the abbreviations in the following illustration, the numbers at the bottom are the AD dates in history. The IPCC is the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. AR6 is the IPCC's climate summary report. NOAA is the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. PPB is parts per billion. PPM is parts per million.
Please notice how fast greenhouse gases have risen in the vertical rectangles on the right. Also, at around 1800 AD, greenhouse gases increase far beyond any earlier levels. About 1800 AD was the beginning of the fossil fuel-burning industrial revolution. Particularly notice the exponential rise in the three most potent greenhouse gases beginning about 1950-1980.
Here is what to do to get our complacent and fossil fuel cartel-compromised politicians to act!
You might want to share this new article with the people you care most about.
Important Notes and climate science links
2. An acknowledgment of the carbon 425-450 ppm last-chance threshold was first published in a Job One For Humanity white paper in 2016 and later as a book called Climageddon. In the white paper and book, passing the carbon 425-450 ppm last-chance threshold was called Phase 1 of the Climageddon Scenario. (The Illustration below is from the Climageddon white paper and book.)
3. To find out more about who caused the climate change nightmare for you, your family, your community, and your nation, and who will be forced to pay for all climate change damage, click here.
4. You might also be wise to review our very detailed 2024 climate change consequence forecast, found here. We were forced to update it on February 5th because humanity just crossed the hazardous carbon 425 ppm threshold.
To help do something about the climate change and global warming emergency, click here.
Sign up for our free Global Warming Blog by clicking here. (In your email, you will receive critical news, research, and the warning signs for the next global warming disaster.)
To share this blog post: Go to the Share button to the left below.