This page contains:
a. over 40 of the most critical primary and secondary global heating emergency consequences and warning signs for how a runaway global heating-driven extinction and collapse will occur.
b. a list of humanity's 11 other most dangerous global crises and how those crises will interact and rapidly worsen because of the consequences of accelerating runaway global heating and climate change.
c. the approximate time frames for a climate-triggered and climate-driven abrupt mass extinction process and global collapse based on current climate science. (When we use the words abrupt with extinction or collapse, we mean that these things will occur within the next 3-6 decades. We are using abrupt in relation to geological periods, measured in millions of years. On a geological scale, 3-6 decades is an abrupt and very short time period and hardly the blink of the eye on a geological time scale.)
d. the many already unfolding climate tipping points will also bring about an abrupt global collapse and die-off of much of humanity by mid-century, and the total die-off of humanity long before the end of the 21st century.
e. links to positive perspectives and benefits for resolving the many intertwined primary and secondary runaway global heating consequences and global crises listed below. This good news (near the end of this article) is needed because most people become upset reading the comprehensive analysis below.
From the many illustrations on this page, you will see the climate and runaway global heating extinction emergency from many perspectives. You will discover qualifying and conditioning contexts, relationships, processes, and the many ongoing transformations within human, climate, and biological systems and subsystems. This document extensively illuminates the many interconnected, interacting, and interdependent human and climate systems that will pass points of no return, cross critical tipping points, and trigger destructive feedback loops that will unleash, multiply, and amplify a global chaos and collapse process resulting in our eventual near-total extinction.
We will update this analysis regularly with all new relevant research. To help you understand what this page is doing, we have provided the following illustration.
Even though the following article describes an enormously complex global situation, it has been written and illustrated so that anyone with average intelligence (even with no training listed in a-d above) can discover critical patterns and coming climate and global heating consequence chains for themselves. The climate analysis and other information below will allow them to more clearly see their climate future and its many consequences, particularly if we fail to get accelerating global heating under control in the very short amount of time we have left to do so.
What we are doing for you on this page is carefully untangling the many complex and intertwined factors of the runaway global heating extinction emergency, which metaphorically can initially look much like the plate of hopelessly intertwined spaghetti below. (Just a few of those climate factors are written above the plate of spaghetti below.)
Once you begin to see the runaway global heating extinction emergency untangled from its many contributing factors, it will be far easier for you to see the extreme national risk and global threat in front of us with our rapidly accelerating global heating emergency.
Additionally, the climate risk and threat analysis below also results from an extensive, continuous, and dynamic 11-year analysis that was based on:
a. classic logic and climate research-based on scientific methodology,
b. complex adaptive systems theory,
c. tipping point theory, and the 11 key climate tipping points.) and,
d. a dialectical meta-system theory-based analysis of ongoing climate research and the world's current fossil fuel reduction actions. A meta-systemic analysis method allows us to look at a situation from 28 unique dialectical perspectives relating to the contexts, relationships, processes, and transformations taking place or possible within that situation and its relationships.
A metaphor for the levels of insight available for a formally trained mind within this article could be helpful before you start. For example, suppose you are above average intelligence with logical thought processes, and you have not done any of the other training mentioned in b-d above. In that case, you still will see the many interacting, interconnected, and interdependent human, climate, and biological systems below at the symbolic and ancient "computer screen" resolution and clarity of 480 dots per inch (DPI.)
This lower viewing resolution also means that you will not as quickly see all of the points of no return, crossed critical tipping points, and destructive feedback loops. However, if you also understand complex adaptive systems theory, you will see the information below at a much higher 1,200 DPI "computer screen" clarity and viewing resolution.
If you also understand complex adaptive systems theory and tipping point theory, it will allow you to see the information below at a 2,400 DPI "computer screen" clarity and viewing resolution. However, suppose you also understand complex adaptive systems theory, tipping point theory, and you understand dialectical meta-system theory. In that case, you will see the information below at an astounding 8,000 DPI "computer screen" clarity and viewing resolution.
When viewing this article, the better your "computer screen resolution and viewing clarity because of the more image dots per inch factor," the more fully and precisely you will see the many dangerous and critical transactions occurring within the interactions, interconnections, interdependencies, points of no return, destructive feedback loops, nonlinear effects, and crossed tipping point interactions.
Here are the article sub-sections found below:
2. Introduction to the possibility of a Great Global Collapse process triggered by accelerating global heating
3. The current global emergency and our 11 other biggest global crises
4. How primary and secondary global heating-related consequences will unfold as disruptors and threat multipliers accelerating and amplifying a globalized collapse process
5. The primary global heating consequences and warning signs to watch to protect your immediate and long-term future
6. What happens when most of our 12 global crises "feed" into each other's consequences and are amplified by global heating
7. How human system related secondary global heating consequences will interact with, accelerate, and amplify our other 11 major global crises
8. The secondary more dangerous, quality-of-life consequences, warning signals, and predictions for your immediate and long term future
9. How the primary and secondary global heating consequences will affect the global economy and your financial future
10. Will we be able to adapt our way out of accelerating global heating and a Great Global Collapse
11. What global areas will be hit by escalating global heating worse than others
12. Depending on your current location, use this timetable to prepare for and adapt to global heating-related primary and secondary consequences
13. The most important things that most people least understand about accelerating global heating consequences and the runaway global heating extinction emergency
14. What must we do to have anything like a livable future
15. Last thoughts on why "All is not hopeless" and while a global heating consequence-driven near-total extinction is probable, a total extinction is not realistic
16. How to keep the difficult and disruptive facts of The Great Global Collapse found on this page in a balanced and more positive perspective
17. In Summary
18. Additional Reading and Documentation
a. The biggest reasons why most of our above 12 critical global crises have not been solved or will be nearly impossible to fix
b. Despite everything disheartening that you will read below, why we are NOT an all-is-lost, end-of-the-world, apocalyptical organization
c. What do we all do if we fail to get close to the collapse and near-total extinction preventing 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets in time?
d. More information on how global warming is the most dangerous driver, amplifier, and threat multiplier of our other 11 major global crises
e. Academic and news articles which support the above global collapse and extinction analysis.
After 40 years of comprehensive climate reports by the world's leading authority (the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [IPCC],) the IPCC has made the most significant single change to its climate position and predictions in its decades-long history!
The IPCC now says we can no longer prevent many of the worst consequences of global warming. All that we can do now is adapt to them!
But, precisely what are those global heating consequences for which you now have to adapt and when will they arrive? More importantly, how can you replan your lives around these rapidly intensifying climate consequences that you now see unfolding every day in the news?
This page and its links will also help you definitively answer the following survival-critical question:
"Are we already in an unavoidable global extinction and collapse process caused by accelerating global heating consequences multiplying, amplifying, and interacting with the many consequences of the world's other 11 largest crises?"
The good news is that you do not have to be an Albert Einstein to understand what is already happening or what is coming! After reading the following state-of-the-future climate analysis, you get to be the judge if the answer to the above question is yes or no.
It not just us publishing on climate collapse and extinction. Many thousands of scientists worldwide are also warning about ecological collapse and human extinction, and a Sixth Great Extinction event. For example, according to a 2020 study published in Scientific Reports, if deforestation and resource consumption (aka overshoot) continues at current rates, they could culminate in a "catastrophic collapse in human population" and possibly "an irreversible collapse of our civilization" in the next 20 to 40 years. What you will read below will be the next 2 or more decades of your life if you are one of the lucky few who will make it past mid-century.
According to the most optimistic scenario provided by the study, the chances that human civilization survives is less than 10%. (See Nafeez, Ahmed. "Theoretical Physicists Say 90% Chance of Societal Collapse Within Several Decades". Vice. Retrieved 2 August 2021. Also see Bologna, M.; Aquino, G. (2020). "Deforestation and world population sustainability: a quantitative analysis." Scientific Reports. 10 (7631): 7631. doi:10.1038/s41598-020-63657-6. PMC 7203172. PMID 32376879.)
The climate consequence-driven extinction and collapse scenario you will read about below will not just affect the poor. It will affect the middle class, the upper class, and yes, even the 1% wealthiest individuals and corporations. This climate extinction and collapse emergency will become the ultimate lose-lose, no-win scenario regardless of your current class, wealth, or location.
It will not only affect your grandchildren as we are being repeatedly told. It will also adversely affect your children within the next decade. Moreover, it is accelerating so fast that it will make even the final days of the more fragile Boomer or retired generation very difficult.
As of 2021, a recent study disclosed that 85% of humanity has already experienced the severe effects of escalating global warming and its many extreme weather consequences. That percentage will rise rapidly over the next 3-9 years as you will discover below.
While reading this article, also please keep in mind that almost all of the climate-driven risks below are avoidable and unnecessary risks to humanity that we can slow and mitigate if we work together to get our governments in action with effective action within the tiny bit of remaining time we have left.
Even if you do not believe that a climate-driven mass or near-total extinction is real or possible, no rational person would ever, under any circumstances, want to live and try to survive through what is coming! The horror, suffering, financial loss, death and ongoing, physical, emotional, and spiritual traumas that will be experienced and will continue to grow as global heating accelerates will be unbearable! In the article below you will discover all the sequenced consequences and suffering, loss, and trauma that awaits us ALL unless we get our governments to enforce the survival-critical 2025 global fossil fuel targets.
By the way, for the previous 5 years, we have been calling what you are about to read the Climageddon Scenario or the Climageddon Countdown.
2. Introduction to the possibility of a Great Global Extinction and Collapse process triggered primarily by accelerating global heating consequences interacting with our world's other major crises
Other than a growing number of climate scientists and intelligence agency climate analysts, most people have no idea that a massive global warming-fueled extinction and collapse crisis is already unfolding. They have no idea that from 2025 to about 2031, global warming consequences (which are bad now) will go from rising gradually to rising exponentially.
This exponential rise will be due to crossing many more climate tipping points over that nine years. Most individuals who have heard about this issue do not believe our governments could ever let this happen.
This denial is understandable because the idea of a catastrophic global extinction and collapse process already in progress is not just overwhelmingly frightening, it is also far too complex for many to understand, not to mention completely unheard of in previous human history!
Using the information and analysis in the article below, it will quickly become clear to you if, in fact, we are or are not in a global extinction and collapse process!
You will discover:
1. The 12 most dangerous global crises both fueling and accelerating the unfolding of a global collapse that we will face over the next few decades.
2. The primary and secondary warning signs that many conditions essential to your survival will likely collapse, and that you need to get prepared, adapt, or get out of their way!
3. How the collective worsening of the 12 major global crises (listed below) will lead to the mass extinction of most of humanity by mid-century.
4. Almost everything you have been told about the worst climate change consequences arriving late in the 21st century is wrong. These worst consequences will be occurring not just in your children's lifetimes but in yours as well!
5. Almost everything you have been told that we still have until 2030, 2035, or 2050 to make critical extinction-preventing global fossil fuel reductions is also dead wrong.
And most importantly,
6. What we must and can still do to prevent, adapt to, slow down, and survive the cascading convergence of endless catastrophes from the worsening of the 12 global crises disrupting, interacting, and amplifying each other as well as going over their tipping points. (At the end of this document you will find a practical plan called the Job One for Humanity Plan. It will show you how to make the best of our difficult future.)
Your understanding of the following global collapse and extinction processes and your preparation for them will be the most critical factors affecting your future comfort and safety. Depending upon your current location, the following warning signs might even help determine the best location for your survival.
While you are reading the 12 global crises do not forget that they are NOT separate, stand-alone, or unconnected occurrences. The 12 global crises below are highly interactive, interconnected, and interdependent with each other.
When any one of them worsens, it can cause the worsening of some or even most or of the other global crises. It might help to think of the following 12 global crises looking like an intertwined plate of spaghetti. Each separate noodle (global crisis) touches the others and is capable of affecting the other noodles (global crises) with their sauce, heat, "flavor," or condition.
And finally, please keep in mind the following as you read about what is nothing less than "the greatest crisis in human history." One could even view the following materials as a manual for the step-by-step processes of a global Climageddon.
This mega-collapse crisis is simultaneously also humanity's greatest opportunity to resolve many intractable global problems and inequities that could not (and have not,) been previously solved. The end of this document will also point you toward information that will describe how this great global mega-crisis can be transformed into humanity's greatest opportunity and potential for a Great Global Rebirth.
(Please note that the following runaway global heating extinction emergency materials are also a partial, but good description of the Climageddon Scenario.)
3. The current global emergency and our 11 other biggest global crises
As you will discover below, humanity is not dealing with only a single-incident, non-interconnected local or regional crisis. Humanity is heading into a deteriorating and undeclared globalized emergency involving the collapse of its critical global survival and stability systems, (such as the climate, the environment, the economy, and our political and social systems.)
As you read about the 12 global crises, it is helpful to also think about our key deteriorating global systems like the angry, unpredictable, and attacking heads on the dragon below.
Our 12 most dangerous global crises and challenges including global warming
(The single most urgent and dangerous global crisis is listed last.)
Global Crisis and Challenge 1: Ever-rising over-population, the Earth has the carrying capacity for about 1and 1/2 billion to 2 billion people maximum as shown in the illustration below. On average, about 141 million people are born every year, and normally pre-pandemic 50 million people a year die.
We are currently at nearly 8 billion people racing to 9.8 billion by or before 2050. Even though we are far, far over sustainable population levels already, no government is currently setting human reproduction policy! Future and current generations will suffer unthinkable catastrophes because, as humanity, we failed to manage the size of our global population to match the sustainable carrying capacity of our global environment and the Earth's available and renewable resources.
Overpopulation and its unavoidable over-consumption beyond our carrying capacity IS the core major cause behind today's global warming emergency. Furthermore, as the global population continues to rise, the additional population serves to further multiply and amplify the most harmful consequences of almost all the other 11 global crises below. This is particularly true for global resource depletion aka global resources overshoot. (See Global Crisis and Challenge 2.)
Overpopulation also greatly worsens the many primary and secondary global warming consequences further down this page.
(For a candid and balanced article on the immense suffering caused by our overpopulation global challenge, please see this article, Population, the Great Knee-Jerker: A Holistic Survey and Plea to Reduce Suffering.) Please also click this carrying capacity link for more about why our beyond carrying capacity and rapidly rising overpopulation challenge is extremely dangerous to everyone's future.)
As you will discover, overpopulation and Crisis 2 below are intimately intertwined and connected.
Global Crisis and Challenge 2: Over-consumption causing ever-rising global resource depletion. This overconsumption is also known as global resources overshoot.) This overshoot is driven first by overpopulation in relation to the carrying capacity of the land and sea acreage available for a given population.
Overshoot also manifests itself in the consequent toxic pollution of water, lands, and air, crop failures, overfishing, topsoil loss, resource distribution injustice, and the massive "overconsumption and waste" of the Earth's very finite resources and its limited carrying capacity. In addition to the many crop-failing consequences of global warming, global resource depletion itself will significantly increase food shortages and cause soaring food prices leading to mass starvation and mass migrations.
The future holds many resource shortages due to overshoot. Expect shortages in clean drinkable water, food, many raw materials, and even medical and other manufactured supplies. Never forget a single critical or necessary missing resource can stop a whole system from continuing to function.
We are going to have many soon arriving resource shortages. For example, the following are estimates of when only a few of our critical global resources will be depleted:
freshwater in 12 years (2032),
fish stocks will be almost totally gone by 2050,
adequate topsoil for crop growing gone by 2070.
(See this page to see 90 percent of fish stock already overfished and to see charts on how this loss will throw much of the world into starvation.) Of particular concern is the depletion of phosphorous critically needed for crop fertilizers. Adequate access to this could run out in as little as 35-45 years.
If you still do not believe that resource depletion and overshoot of our carrying capacity is a huge problem. Watch this fantastic resource overshoot video with great graphics and global resource depletion amounts and time frames in simple illustrations by Hugh Montgomery, a noted English professor. (We strongly recommend you watch this video for all of the food and non-food resources that are in an accelerating depletion adding to the mass starvation peril. [Forward the video to the 10 minutes and 30-second mark to begin watching Professor Hugh Montgomery's compelling graphic presentation.])
There are also many other critical mineral and non-mineral resources that will also run out soon, click here for more about these. After overpopulation which is a main amplifier of global resource depletion, overshoot is considered by most experts to be the key major cause behind or feeding global warming and almost all of our other 11 global crises listed below.
Global Crisis and Challenge 3: escalating pollution of lands, air, and waters. Ongoing and accelerating toxic pollution kills crops, fish stocks, and poisons our air, water, and soil creating and accelerating all types of global health, social, and economic problems. (Ocean heating and ocean acidification from carbon from global warming will eventually kill off much of the oceans' oxygen-producing plankton. These plankton are responsible for as much as 50% of all oxygen produced on the planet.)
Global Crisis and Challenge 4: loss of biodiversity, we are having more plants and animals go extinct than at any other time in human history. This is due to an ongoing and accelerating loss of natural habitat due to overpopulation, global warming, overuse, pollution, etc. (Leading Stanford University biologists, who were first to reveal that we are already experiencing the sixth mass extinction on Earth, released new research this week showing species extinctions are accelerating in an unprecedented manner, which may be another tipping point for the collapse of human civilization.)
This biodiversity is critical because it supports or is an essential part of our critical food chains.
Global Crisis and Challenge 5: Resolving the current COVID global pandemic beyond just within the wealthiest nations!
Because of a continuous chain of emerging new Covid mutations in all global populations that remain unvaccinated, the COVID pandemic is estimated to continue globally until mid to late 2023 to 2025. It will take at least that long until most of the world's population is vaccinated or until a "herd immunity" is developed.
Worse yet, it is estimated we will have a new global pandemic threat about every 5-10 years because of the direct and indirect consequences of rising global warming. (Most people have no idea that pandemics and epidemics are also part of the predicted "normal" results of the escalating global heating emergency.)
Directly and indirectly, the severe loss of natural wild animal habitat caused by global warming, the eating more wild and non-domesticated animals, and the exploding of hungry world populations crowding into urban areas will be a continuous contributing or the prime cause of new zoological Covid-like diseases crossing over from animal populations into human populations and becoming pandemics.
Pandemics, like COVID-19, Ebola, MERS, and SARS have occurred about every ten years from each other over the last decades. These diseases will continue to happen regularly or will be exacerbated by the accelerating global heating emergency. (The many other reasons why accelerating global warming will create more regular global pandemics and epidemics are listed in this eye-opening article.)
Global Crisis and Challenge 6: increasing global economic instabilities that lead to the first global or multinational recession or depression. (These new monster recessions and depressions could be fueled by escalating national debt and deficits, using exotic new investment vehicles like the deregulated hedge fund trading with derivatives that "gamed the system" in the 2008 economic crash.
The first real global depression or recession could also occur sooner than we are prepared for due to bursting balloons in new real estate or commodities, new challenges to the US currency continuing as the world's reserve currency, lack of adequate national financial reserves, low financial system resilience, hidden pre-existing global economic system weaknesses, new and unexpected major economic shocks (like a new COVID mutation, new military conflicts, escalating and costly global warming catastrophes or even some unforeseen risk from the rising global use and speculation on cryptocurrencies.
Suppose any of the above (or other currently unknown major financial risks) hit our multinational or global economic systems with sufficient intensity. In that case, we will experience our first true global depression or recession, where almost every nation will share the same painful levels of economic depression or recession. Our national, multinational and global financial systems are much more vulnerable and fragile than we are being led to believe.
Global Crisis and Challenge 7: growing economic inequality, social and racial injustice, hunger, and poverty. Today less than 1% of the world's population owns more than 50% of all wealth. Over the last several decades, this ownership percentage continues to grow in favor of the wealthy.
Growing economic inequality and poverty often increase food shortages and often cause food prices to soar leading once again to mass starvation and mass migrations. This year (2020,) 130 million people are lacking adequate food and could starve to death. COVID-19's effect on the world economy could double that number in the next few years. Over the following decades, global heating consequences will raise that number into the hundreds of millions eventually rising well past a billion.)
Global Crisis and Challenge 8: Escalating local, regional, and international criminality, conflicts, terrorism, and war. Expect these population-destabilizing security and stability threats to increase in their intensity, frequency, and scale. This threat escalation will occur from the urban and rural local levels to regional and international levels.
Vastly increased levels of survival-driven criminality, conflicts, terrorism, and war will be due to the world experiencing almost all of the global challenges on this page getting steadily worse. Global nuclear war or widespread chemical or biological war is also a real and escalating threat as most of the global challenges on this page worsen.
Nations with nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons will eventually fight to the death for the few global warming safer lands, dwindling food supplies, and other critical resources. In addition, the ever-increasing mass migrations of desperate climate refugees (climagees) illegally crossing borders will soon be treated as hostile territorial invasions. We estimate that when atmospheric carbon reaches about 425-450 ppm level, we will begin to see a sharp and almost exponential rise in these issues.
Global Crisis and Challenge 9: Mass migrations, political and economic instability, increasing terrorism, conflicts, and war plus global warming and many of the other listed global challenges on this page will both create and expand sudden, massive migrations of millions then billions of desperate refugees and climagees. During this phase, as most of the listed global challenges on this page intensify, various stronger governments will order precautionary evacuations of selected individuals and groups to limit casualties and losses from their most vulnerable areas. Before 2030-2035 because of global warming alone, the world will see hundreds of millions of climagees (climate refugees.)
Global Crisis and Challenge 10: increasing political instability and collapsing governments. Fueled by existing internal and external conflicts, soaring deficits, and the intensifying global challenges listed on this page, poorly managed nations with weak economies and low existing resilience will fall first. In 2020 we already see numerous countries on the verge of economic or political collapse. As the increased stresses of these listed global challenges continue to increase upon all nations, stronger nations will also steadily collapse. And finally, what is the most dangerous challenge and collapse accelerator of all.
Global Crisis and Challenge 11: New COVID-19 like pandemics as well as other new and older disease epidemics will continue to flare up every decade or less. This will in part be due to global warming melting of the permafrost, loss of natural animal habitat, eating more wild animals, overcrowding, less resilient health systems, mass migrations, wars and conflicts, and many of the other challenges and consequences listed on this page.
Additionally, new and older disease epidemics will occur more frequently and be more severe because of the abuse of antibiotics in animal product production. This abuse has resulted in bacteria that are now resistant to every known type of antibiotic.
Worse yet, because of accelerating global warming, more COVID-19 type global pandemics could come as often as every decade. The AIDS virus became widespread in the late 1970s, the SARS virus in 2003, the MERS virus in 2012, and the Ebola virus in 2013. Click here for more about how escalating global warming may begin producing COVID-19 like pandemics every decade.
Global Crisis and Challenge 12: The ever-accelerating global heating emergency. This global warming emergency is causing escalating desertification, sea-level rise, flooding, deforestation, reef collapse, droughts, wildfires, extreme storms, and the spread of diseases through epidemics and pandemics. All of these global warming-specific consequences are increasing scale, severity, and frequency as our average global temperature continues to rise.
Accelerating global warming is the single greatest disruptor and global threat multiplier of the 21st century. It can directly or indirectly significantly amplify and multiply the adverse consequences of almost every other global crisis listed on this page. The global warming emergency in itself, if not resolved soon, will cause the deaths of most of humanity by mid-century. Worse yet, because of global warming long before 2050 we will also cross three extinction-evoking global warming tipping points. (These three critical global warming tipping points are described here.)
Global warming is also very bad for the world's economy. The rising consequences of the global warming emergency will eventually consume larger and larger percentages of every nation's Gross Domestic Productivity (GDP.) Loss estimates run from 3-5% of national GDPs now to as much as 30% of the total national GDPs in the final phases of the global warming emergency!
As global warming reaches its later Climageddon Scenario phases, it will become far more likely that we will destroy ourselves in a massive war or nuclear conflict over the remaining scarce resources or the very limited global warming safest lands.
Excluding the challenge of having no real global government (which is an evolutionary, structural, and developmental issue) and immediate global thermonuclear war, our out of control global warming is the single most dangerous global challenge today. It is also the most dangerous global challenge because:
a.) It is also the most immediate and probable meta-trigger for the growing possibility of a chain reaction of whipsawing and simultaneous ecological, economic, social, and political falling domino catastrophes and the converging global system collapses involving directly or indirectly most of the other critical global challenges listed above.
If you think about accelerating global warming as a brightly burning match that will ignite the highly explosive and destructive "fuels" already existing within most of the other 12 critical challenges listed above, you would have another good idea why we have to get the global warming emergency under control as our immediate and top priority.
b.) Global warming is a severe security threat already unfolding. It is causing substantial global problems right now and, it is rapidly growing toward crossing four critical extinction-evoking tipping points. It is in fact, already all but out of our control. It can and will end most of the human species within our lifetimes if we do not act soon!
4. How primary and secondary global heating-related consequences will unfold as disruptors and threat multipliers accelerating and amplifying a globalized collapse process
We will experience the following primary and secondary global warming-related consequences because we are failing horribly in reducing our global fossil fuel use! As time passes, the following consequences will continue to increase in frequency, severity, and scale.
The most important thing to remember as these consequences converge is that they will bring about later consequences faster and faster because of feedback loops, synergies, interdependencies, and tipping points. Worse yet, unpredictably and regularly, these global warming consequences will suddenly get exponentially worse.
This is because these consequences will feed into and collide with each other and, they will also be fed by the worsening of our other 11 global crises! No government, global corporation, or global NGO will be able to stay up with these accelerating and interacting consequences. These primary and secondary consequences accelerating and collectively occurring more simultaneously will create unimaginable global chaos.
Many of the following primary and secondary consequences are interconnected and interdependent. Some also exist in transformative relationships and within interconnected linear and non-linear processes that can amplify or multiply the other's consequences and, in effect, further disrupt our abilities to predict or control these consequences.
No single global warming consequence below creates global collapse, complete human extinction, or our doomsday entirely of itself. But, cumulatively and synergetically, as the primary and secondary consequences below increase and unfold in continuous waves, they will bring about Climageddon, our global warming doomsday, and our extinction.
The primary and secondary consequences listed below are the critical and powerful warning signs to watch for in the news to know that our global warming emergency is accelerating and worsening in your area and, that you should act before it is too late.
When reading the global warming primary and secondary consequence lists, keep in mind that the consequences listed earlier on the lists are occurring now or will be occurring first. The consequences listed near the end of the lists will take longer to unfold.
(For those interested in detailed timeframes and triggering events on when and how the following global warming consequences will occur, please see the 6 unique phases of the Climageddon Extinction Scenario.)
5. The primary global heating consequences and warning signs to watch to protect your immediate and long-term future
While reading the following 32 mostly natural primary global warming consequences listed below, keep in mind, there are also secondary consequences and warning signals. This secondary set of consequences and warning signals (further down) will show you how the mostly natural global warming consequences will directly affect you and your loved one's future wellbeing and survival. In addition, the secondary consequences will illustrate what will happen to humanity as the global warming consequences unfold and interact with our 11 other global crises.
As you read through the primary and secondary consequences, it will become clear to you how our economic, ecological, social, and political systems will destabilize and come ever closer to collapse. Taken collectively, the primary and secondary consequences and warning signs of accelerating global warming will give you a high-level, meta-systemic view of humanity's future.
Where applicable, for both primary and secondary consequences we have also listed what we call panic-worthy or mega warning signs. Although we do not want you to ever panic, these particular mega warning signs mean things are worsening very fast even exponentially and you have very little time left to prepare and adapt.
The primary phase one mostly natural global heating consequences and warning signs:
The primary global heating consequences have already begun. They will become exponentially worse once we enter the carbon 425-450 ppm threshold.
Above carbon 450 ppm, we enter into climate hell. As you read the following list of consequences, keep in mind that the first nine primary consequences below will also have profound temporary and long-term effects on world travel, tourism, and world trade.
1. increased atmospheric heating which increases average global temperature, (This increased heat will cause many more days each summer and growing season that will be near or over 100 degrees. This increased heat will make all kinds of outdoor activities more difficult and less productive.)
Increased heat during winter seasons will also cause increasing periodic rain in winter and dangerous freezing rain and ice storms. These winter ice and freezing rain storms will take down power lines and disrupt transportation, production, and life in general.
2. extreme storms of all kinds (hurricanes, tornadoes, Derechos, rain bombs, bomb cyclones, etc.) Regarding hurricanes, if you hear we have had a category six hurricane or, worse yet, a category seven hurricane, this is a panic-worthy mega warning sign. It means that things have taken a very steep turn toward the worst-case scenarios. (A category six hurricane starts at a wind speed of about 180 - 185 mph. A category seven hurricane would have winds of at least 210 - 215 mph. By this scale, Hurricane Dorian was our first category six hurricane.)
Think of more global warming like heat under a pressure cooker. The more heat the pot (Earth) gets the more the contents inside our atmosphere become more turbulent and churn and "boil" onto extreme storms of ALL kinds.
Because of the direct and indirect churning and boiling-off effects of increasing global warming heat, there is now anywhere from 5 to 8% more water vapor circulating throughout the world's atmosphere than just a generation ago. This increased water vapor, combined with temperatures that are driving water up from the deep ocean in places where hurricanes typically form, has created the ideal potential for the next generation of monster hurricanes, for which we are totally unprepared. So when you start seeing category six hurricanes hitting different parts of the world, you will know the future of humanity is in deep peril.
Rain bombs (when days or weeks' worth of rain falls in hours or days) will start occurring everywhere. These rain bombs will be particularly destructive in cities where older street drainage systems will be quickly overwhelmed. These rain bombs will unexpectedly flood areas of cities that have never flooded before.
3. droughts, (many areas of the world are currently experiencing global warming-aggravated mega-droughts that have lasted one or more decades.)
5. increasing wildfires, Global wildfires burn roughly 865 million acres of land each year —an area five times larger than the size of Texas. Wildfires are expected to become more frequent and intense, and fire seasons are projected to last longer.
In the United States, approximately 7 to 9 million acres burn each year. Some studies predict a 50 to 100 percent increase in area burned in the United States by 2050, with the most severe changes occurring in Western states. It is reasonable to project that global wildfires will also increase 50 to 100 percent in areas burned. Global wildfires will cost humanity in the range of 1/trillion dollars annually by 2050.
The greatest cost of global wildfires accelerating in acres burned as global warming increases is not financial. Instead, it will be in the millions of tons of carbon that these wildfires release into the atmosphere beyond what we are already releasing annually due to our current fossil fuel uses.
In 2019 global forest fires released about 7.5 billion tons of carbon into the atmosphere. As global forest fires increase by 50-100%, this extra carbon released into the atmosphere will further quickly push up global temperatures once again. This 50-100 % increase in global forest fires is another panic-worthy mega warning signal if you see global wildfires rising rapidly to the 50-100% levels.
6. shrinking sea ice and ice shelves, glaciers and snowpack, (This further destabilize seasonal climates and many biological systems,)
7. increasing flooding and sea-level rise. (If we are very, very lucky and we keep crossing climate tipping points as we are doing now, sea levels will rise by only 2-4 or more feet (2/3 meter to 1 and 1/3 meter) by 2050 and 4-10 feet (1 and 1/3 meter to 3 and 1/3 meters) by 2100.
Fifty percent of the global population lives at sea level. Based upon an unrealistically low 3-inch sea-level rise prediction, the chart below shows hundreds of millions of people will be displaced. This displacement will create massive migrations that no country is prepared to absorb.
Sea levels rising as little as one foot will cause immediate massive property losses worldwide and then the sudden migration of hundreds of millions away from coastal areas. A sea-level rise of 2 feet or more will cause billions of coastal dwellers' to migrate. Worse yet, we are totally unprepared to abandon many of the world's largest coastal cities.
The illustration below does not include compensating calculations for crossing any climate tipping points. This lack of allowance for climate tipping points means the cities illustrated below will flood far faster than is shown below. Many of the worst sea-level flooding catastrophes are now just a few decades away!
Moreover, if we do not make radical global fossil fuel use reductions soon, the sea level will eventually rise about 230 feet over the next few centuries. If that was not bad enough, we have already baked-in 60-100 feet (20-30 meters) of sea-level rise. This baked-in rise is from the carbon and methane we have put into the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution.
Massive sea-level rise is the vast, slow-moving global mega-catastrophe barrelling toward us. Currently, sea levels are rising by about 2 inches every decade, which is double what they rose just one decade ago! Suppose we add all the climate tipping points that will be crossed soon. In that case, sea levels will continue increasing exponentially and not gradually or linearly!
The illustration below also does not factor in any crossed climate tipping points. As a result, its worst-case scenario in red is likely considerably underestimated.
When you see sea levels start rising by anything close to an inch per year, you have reached another panic-worthy mega warning sign!
8. increased toxic air pollution and air pollution-related deaths and disease from the global burning and use of carbon and methane-based fossil fuels and other greenhouse gasses. Additionally, wildfire smoke (full of the most health dangerous PM 2.5 particles will increase 50-100% over the next several decades due to increasing heat and droughts.
Air pollution a key consequence of global warming often gets the least climate change attention, yet in many ways, it has the most impact on a personal level. This is because air pollution from fossil fuel burning is a slow and invisible cause of excruciatingly painful respiratory disease and death. It is also responsible for aggravating many other diseases.
Directly or indirectly, air pollution causes approximately 11 to 13% (about 1 in 8) of ALL global deaths each year. (About 60 million people die globally each year.) According to a recent World Health Organization survey, 40 percent of deaths linked to outdoor air pollution are from heart disease; another 40 percent from strokes; 11 percent from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); 6 percent from lung cancer, (30) and 3 percent from acute lower respiratory infections in children.
China has the most air pollution fatalities with nearly 1.4 million deaths a year. India has 645,000 and Pakistan has 110,000. To put this in perspective, air pollution kills more people each year than malaria and AIDS combined! Because air pollution supports weed growth, it is also a major accelerator of allergy attacks. It has been directly linked to asthma. Within the past 20 years, there has been an observed doubling of pediatric asthma prevalence.
This toxic air pollution also exacerbates pre-existing health conditions such as bronchitis and emphysema. Air pollution from fossil fuel burning also dramatically increases national and international health costs, and the burden for those increased health costs falls squarely upon individual taxpayers. Paul Epstein, with the Harvard School of Public Health, found that the hidden costs of burning fossil fuel coal in just the U.S. alone to be $345 billion per year!
The worst news is that in the future there will be many more than just the 1 in 8 global deaths attributed directly or indirectly to global warming and fossil fuel-related air pollution. Do not be surprised to see a 1 in 7 to a 1 in 5 global death rate in the future. This death rate increase will be related to increasing fossil fuel air pollution as the greenhouse gas amounts (carbon, methane, etc.) continue to rise in our atmosphere.
9. ever-increasing starvation worldwide. This starvation will be primarily because of crop failures and crop yield reductions. Crops will fail or be stunted because of global warming aggravated heatwaves, rain bombs, droughts, flooding, wildfires, out-of-season cold spells, hail, Derechos (severe wind storms), and other extreme weather or seasonal destabilization.
Please note that the world's five principal grains (rice, wheat, maize [corn], millet, and sorghum) are particularly vulnerable to massive crop failure. This crop failure occurs when temperatures (heat waves) are near or above 100 degrees Fahrenheit for more than 30 days during their regular growing seasons.
This increasing starvation will increase mass migration, which will cause even more mass starvation and soaring food prices. In addition, increased mass migrations will generate more local, regional, and national conflicts and economic instability.
Mass global starvation from crop failures and low harvests and its chain reaction of other downstream consequences will be the primary driver of the die-off of much of humanity by mid-century. Mass global starvation and resulting mass migrations also will be a significant underlying factor behind increasing local criminality. People desperate for food and resources will always do what they have to do to survive.
The global warming-triggered die-off of much of humanity will not occur all at once or suddenly around mid-century. It is happening already, and the global warming-fueled die-off will continue to kill more people every year for the next ten years on a rapidly rising linear curve. After that, each year, annual deaths will start to go up exponentially until by mid-century, 50% or more of humanity is no longer alive. (The UN estimated in 2020, up to 100 million people died from the direct and indirect consequences of global warming such as famine, migrations, and conflicts.)
One of the other things that also will worsen global starvation will be panic food buying and hoarding. Panic buying waves would likely occur as more people saw major crop failures, local food prices soaring, or regional food distribution failing.
Falling crop yields, growing local, regional, and national crop failures, and soaring food prices will lead to increased starvation at levels never seen before. This food issue is a critical mega-warning sign of quickly rising instability in social and economic systems! So keep a very close watch on lowered crop yields and crop failures in the news as well as in your grocery bills.
10. Increasing deaths and debilitating illnesses from the toxic plastic by-products of fossil fuels. As plastics produced from fossil fuels decay, they eventually become toxic micro-particles. These harmful microplastic particles are turning up in soils, water, and oceans to such a degree they are found in most fish and much of the plants and animals we eat.
This microplastic particle explosion is terrible for long-term human health. New studies show that these strange microplastic particles cannot be adequately processed by our bodies and are sources of cancers and other illnesses. As more research is done on our food and water supplies, it may turn out that this toxic microplastic by-product of fossil fuel will create more long-term problems than the poisonous carbon and other atmospheric pollution it produces when we burn fossil fuels.
The primary phase two mostly natural global heating consequences and warning signs:
11. we cross the mass extinction-accelerating carbon 425 parts per million (ppm) last battle line to prevent a mass human extinction event from unfolding. This crossed battle line begins a major acceleration for crossing more critical global warming tipping points even faster!
Once we cross the carbon 425 ppm tipping point, we pass a point of no return and we begin an unavoidable and continually worsening die-off of much of humanity by mid-century! If we continue as we are now, we are projected to cross the carbon 425 ppm level by or before 2025.
If we cross the carbon 425 ppm level we will rapidly shoot through the 2 degrees Celcius global temperature increase level and we will be unable to stop ourselves from eventually reaching a 4 degrees Celcius global temperature increase level. (If you want all of the details on this first critical atmospheric carbon tipping point level go to this page and to the section called, "The first extinction-accelerating tipping point that we will cross at or before 2025: the carbon 425-450 ppm tipping point.")
The distinguished Professor of Meteorology Michael Mann from the University of Pennsylvania recently stated that once we reach the carbon 405 ppm level in our atmosphere, a 2 degrees C average global temperature increase is already baked in! Once that happens there is nothing we can do to stop it!
Because of global warming tipping points and positive feedback loops, Professor Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, director emeritus and founder of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, believes that if we go much above 2° C, we will quickly get to 4° C anyway and, a 4° C increase would spell the end of human civilization.
Johan Rockström, the head of one of Europe's leading climate research institutes, warned that in a 4°C warmer world, it would be "difficult to see how we could accommodate a billion people or even half of that. Not even a rich minority world survive with modern lifestyles in the post 4°C-warmer turbulent, conflict-ridden world".
Many other climate scientists have warned that once the climate warms 4 degrees C over our preindustrial average global temperature, human adaptation to these temperature levels will be all but impossible!
We are just about to cross the carbon 425 ppm tipping point that will rapidly take us to a 4 degree Celcius warmer world and all its horrors! Also, take a look at the atmospheric carbon (CO2) ppm graph just below. This graph tells us our global warming temperature future and that we have made literally no progress in reducing atmospheric carbon levels in spite of 40 years of valid scientific warnings!
This rise is in carbon is also happening in spite of the 20 plus past global climate conferences and decades of international government agreements to reduce global fossil fuel use!
12. increased releases of methane from melting tundra and permafrost, (methane as a heat-producing greenhouse gas is about 80 times more powerful than carbon in the atmosphere,) If you hear about a sudden massive increase in permafrost melting far beyond what was predicted this is another mega warming sign.
The atmospheric methane (CH4) graph below is in parts per billion.
13. accelerating reef collapses around the world, which negatively affects fish spawning and feeding areas, which causes more collapse of global fish populations, which causes more human starvation around the world. (This is because fish protein is a major source of food for up to 70% of the world's poorer populations.)
14. new disease outbreaks, epidemics, and more COVID-19 like pandemics in areas where they have never been before. (This is due to loss of natural animal habitat, eating more wild animals, additional melting of the permafrost, overcrowding, less resilient health systems, and mass migrations. Because of accelerating global warming consequences, we could soon be experiencing COVID-19 type pandemics as often as every decade.)
15. increasing economic losses. (most nations will spend an ever-increasing percentage of their total gross domestic product (GDP) directly or indirectly paying for the many growing consequences of the global warming emergency. (Estimates for how much of a nation's total GDP will be spent on dealing with rising global warming consequences run from about 5% within a decade to as high as 30% within about 30 years.)
16. increased ocean acidification, (Ocean heating and ocean acidification from carbon from global warming will eventually kill off much of the oceans' oxygen-producing plankton. These plankton are responsible for as much as 50% of all oxygen produced on the planet.)
17. decreased albedo from reduced snow cover, ice, and sea ice extent. When enough sunlight and atmospheric heat reaches ice it melts the ice. This also causes more Arctic, Antarctica, and global heat because of the lowered albedo effect of less ice being present. This decreased albedo effect also increases ice, wetland, or permafrost melting. (See Albedo effect illustration below.)
This is very bad because melting permafrost contains truly massive amounts of carbon and the much worse than carbon methane gas that would also be released into our atmosphere, raising average global temperatures and pushing us much closer and far faster into a self-accelerating runaway global heating scenario.
If you hear about far more artic ice being melted or melted far sooner or longer than expected, this is another mega warning sign because the ice presence and its albedo effect have a powerful influence on global weather, weather seasonality, and critical ocean currents. If you see the preceding happening faster than expected, you can rely upon all types of weather becoming more extreme, unpredictable, and frequent.
The primary phase three global heating consequences and warning signs:
18. as the preceding consequences occur, real estate prices will drop and then begin steeper declines in the areas most affected by global warming consequences. In the areas most affected by global warming consequences, related insurance coverage prices will keep rising, and cancellations will also increase.
Simultaneously, real estate prices will rise and continue rising in the few areas that will be least affected by accelerating global warming consequences. As the listed global warming consequences increase in frequency, severity and scale, the described destabilizing real estate pricing and the unsettling insurance changes will increase at even faster rates.
19. as the preceding consequences occur, home and business insurance rates will rise steadily in the areas most affected by global warming consequences. At some point, insurance companies will begin canceling existing home and business insurance within all global warming high-risk areas. At the same time, home and business insurance rates will be much more favorable in the few places that will be least affected by accelerating global warming consequences.
As more global warming consequences occur, home and business insurance rates and insurance cancelations will increase at even faster rates. When home and business owners can't get fire, flood, and other critical insurances at manageable rates, it becomes far more challenging to maintain or sell existing homes or businesses. This growing uninsurability eventually causes the resale prices of homes or businesses to crash.
20. increased clean drinking water scarcity,
21. forests that were a major stabilizing force absorbing carbon become neutral in their carbon absorption. This means these forests will stop taking in carbon from the atmosphere.
Some forest locations like the Amazon and the Boreal die-back/collapse are already releasing their vast carbon stores, pushing temperatures higher even faster. As global warming worsens, many more forests will begin releasing carbon instead of absorbing it. (It is not just forests that take in carbon from the atmosphere. Other global vegetation can do the same thing. This new study estimates that the ability of our global vegetation to take in atmospheric carbon will drop by 50% by 2040. This is decades ahead of earlier predictions.) This change from forests and vegetation taking in carbon to releasing mass amounts of carbon is another mega warning sign.
22. mass human migrations to the global warming safer zones. In 2019 the United Nations estimated 100 million individuals migrated from high-risk areas to safer countries or areas because of their homelands' deteriorating climate. Look for future climate migrations to soar to billions of people over the following decades. These massive accelerating migrations will create a whole series of new problems and emergencies unseen in human history. (You will also hear about these mass migrations more frequently in the news. They will often be described as "conflict" migrations. These actually are mass migrations initially caused by the global warming consequences you are reading about, which making living conditions impossible or unbearable. These dire conditions then cause the local population to react or rebel because of their many accelerating global warming-enhanced hardships.),
The primary phase four global heating consequences and warning signs:
23. The runaway melting of ALL global ice on Earth is the second major global warming tipping point. It is estimated to occur when we reach carbon 500 ppm sometime from 2042-2067.
When we cross the carbon 500 ppm level, ALL ice and ALL glaciers on Earth will enter a near-unstoppable process of a complete meltdown! Yes, you read that right! At carbon 500 ppm we begin the melting of all global ice.
Crossing the carbon 500 ppm threshold has, in fact, repeatedly happened in Earth's geological history. When it has occurred, the sea level inevitably rose to the 70 meters (230 feet) range. At our current annual carbon ppm emission rates, we will reach this catastrophic carbon 500 ppm range in just 20-25 more years. Worse yet, this global melting tipping point may not reverse itself for centuries to thousands of years once we stop carbonizing our atmosphere.
If we cross that critical tipping point passing the atmospheric carbon level of 500 parts per million (ppm), our average global temperature will eventually soar to 4°C (7.2 degrees Fahrenheit). At 4°C, a large portion of humanity (hundreds of millions to billions) will die of global warming caused by crop failure and other global warming-related caused starvation (or die and suffer from increased heat's 19 other related consequences) and, governments and society will collapse in most areas of the world between the 35th parallel north and the 35th parallel south.
Even though it will take many centuries for the seas to rise the full 230 feet, there still will be shocking spurts of sea-level rise within those centuries where the sea level rise up to 10 feet or more in just a few decades as it also has done repeatedly in Earth's past.
Take a moment to visualize the seas eventually but steadily and in spurts rising 230 feet and what this will mean to our coastal cities, our national borders, and the generations that follow us. Take a moment to visualize the ever-increasing massive worldwide crop failures because of the ever-increasing heat and the consequent mass suffering of slow starvation as we approach and pass the carbon 500 ppm level.
To read the precise, detailed, and complex climate processes, steps, actions, and reactions that take place as we cross the carbon 500 ppm tipping point, please go to this page and go to the section called, "The second global warming tipping point that we will cross as soon as 2042-2067 or earlier: It creates a runaway global ice melt." (We are currently in 2021 at about carbon 420 adding an average of 3 new carbon PPM per year.)
Long before the world reaches the carbon 550 ppm extinction-accelerating tipping point, there will be smaller but key melting glaciers to watch for in the news. One of them is the Thwaites glacier in Antarctica, often called the Doomsday glacier. Scientists recently predicted Thwaites could break away into the sea in as little as the next five years.
Suppose Thwaites does soon cross key internal tipping points and breaks off and slides into the sea, and the glaciers behind it start breaking off into the sea. In that case, it will lead to as much as a 10-foot sea-level rise in just a matter of decades.
This 10-foot sea-level rise will not happen because of the immense size of the Thwaites glacier itself. Instead, it will happen because once the Thwaites glacier is in the ocean, it will no longer hold and prevent other large glaciers from sliding off the Antarctic mountains into the sea in an unstoppable chain reaction.
When the Thwaites glacier slides into the ocean, we have crossed a major climate destabilizing tipping point. When Thwaites breaks off, it is your mega warning sign that global warming consequences will get far worse very fast, and many other climate tipping points will soon be crossed! It is a final warning to get your emergency preparations or relocation adaptations in order unless you want to try to prepare or adapt in the middle of an emergency when everyone else is also desperately trying to get whatever they need. So take a second, and try to imagine what a sudden 10-foot global sea rise over a few decades will do to coastal communities and cities worldwide.
There are other dangerous large melting Antarctica glaciers (Larson A, or Larson B) and other melting Greenland glaciers that individually or collectively can of themselves or collectively raise global seal level from a few inches to several feet. These glacier events will also lead to increasing coastal global catastrophes.
When you hear about even these smaller glaciers reaching their tipping points, are just about to break off, or do break off, it is time to get VERY concerned. These events signal that the interconnected and interdependent "soup" of global warming-related consequences you are reading on this page is about to get a whole lot worse very fast!
Giant Melting glaciers sliding off of their landmasses into the sea is most likely the first and near the worst set of crossed tipping points, you will soon hear more about in the news. Worse yet, there is no fix for these sudden and glacier-driven unstoppable sea level rises once they occur.
It is important to remember that whenever you hear about a tipping point being crossed in one part of the climate system, you can count on it feeding, pushing, and triggering other climate tipping points over their tipping points. (For an overview of the 11 key climate tipping points and how tipping points occur and unfold, click here.
24. increased animal and insect migrations and the diseases that accompany such migrations,
25. loss of biodiversity through more extinctions,
26. at some point, the "big single consequence," major crossed climate tipping point, or a group of global warming consequences will occur. This group of global warming consequences will be so enormous that the extinction emergency can no longer be ignored. It will take a single global warming catastrophe in a developed country that will cause that society 1/2 to 1 trillion dollars in total damages for the world to finally take this seriously and act.
When this 1/2 to 1 trillion dollar catastrophe happens, far more people globally will take notice and finally begin preparing for further predicted worsening disasters or migrating if needed. Once this single incident financial critical cost point is reached, the facts of the escalating Climageddon that we all will face will no longer be able to be hidden from the average citizen.
Be sure to watch for this critical financial mega warning signal because once it occurs, many things relating to managing global warming and its consequences will begin to change at a much faster pace. But unfortunately, it will likely be far too late to resolve the worst threats.
27. jet stream disruption, (additional disruption of seasonal weather patterns,) Shifting jet streams will act to significantly change long-established weather patterns. This is already being witnessed in many areas of the world where the normal rains, snowfall, and seasonal temperatures are becoming more unpredictable and extreme.
In what may sound like a paradox, global warming will also produce cold waves in some areas due to the changing location of jet streams and ocean currents. In some areas, winter storms have already become more frequent and intense.
28. oceans overheating and instead of absorbing atmospheric carbon, they begin releasing it (which also further increases global heating, all of which results in more heat speeding up the whole process of more positive feedback loops, more points of no return, and more crossed tipping points.)
29. soils overheating and instead of absorbing atmospheric carbon, this will cause the soils to also begin releasing more carbon back into the atmosphere further increasing heat,
30. slowing continues in the Atlantic Current. This further destabilizes global weather and our normal hot, cold, rainy, winter, summer seasons. (8.6.2021 update: New research shows the Atlantic current has destabilized. This current destabilization will radically change stable weather patterns, particularly in Europe, but also in other areas near the current.) This is also a mega warning sign because of the radical weather and seasonal temperature changes this current slow down will bring.
31. increasing amounts of methane are already being continuously released from methane clathrate crystals on coastal shelves because of ever-warming oceans. This will be the third major global warming tipping point. This third tipping point is also the point where we begin the process of neat-total extinction!
This methane release from methane clathrate crystals further increases heat, and probable ocean current changes, which will result in even more extreme weather changes, all of which once again results in more global heat speeding up the whole process of more positive feedback loops, more points of no return, and crossing more dangerous tipping points.
The carbon 600 ppm level creates the beginning of a runaway mass methane release tipping point from methane clathrate crystals and the beginning of our near-total extinction. It is estimated to occur sometime from 2063-2072 or when we reach carbon 600 ppm, whichever comes sooner.
When we cross the carbon 600 ppm final extinction level, it will result in raising the average global temperature to 5°C (9 degrees Fahrenheit) and bring about even more massive methane clathrate releases from ocean coastal shelves as it has done before in the Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum 56 million years ago, and most notably the Permian–Triassic extinction event, when up to 96% of all marine species became extinct, about 252 million years ago.
Please click here to watch a short video that brilliantly explains the methane extinction process once we start releasing methane clathrate from our coastal shelves.
New research shows we actually begin this new ocean shelf methane release process once we reach just 5°C and by 6°C, it is in full bloom.
To make matters even worse, additional methane releases from the permafrost will also increase at significantly faster rates at these higher global temperatures.)
Because methane, when released as a gas from permafrost, coastal shelves or fracking is 86 times more potent than carbon as a temperature-increasing greenhouse gas, it will once again rapidly spike up the average global temperatures.
See how we have also radically increased the amounts of methane we have released into the atmosphere just like we have done with carbon in the graph below. (CH4 is the chemical name of methane.)
The above is a methane graph (found at https://www.methanelevels.org) in which you can see how total atmospheric methane levels from all sources have exponentially skyrocketed particularly during the last 50 years up until the current date and month. Increasing atmospheric methane may be the most dangerous mega warning sign that our governments are not adequately tracking or making public!
(Please take the time to read the precise, detailed, and complex processes, steps, actions, and reactions that take place as we cross the carbon 600 ppm tipping point. Go to this page and go to the section called, "The third global warming tipping point we will most probably cross as soon as 2063-2072 or earlier: It creates runaway methane releases accelerating the near-total extinction threat," or click the global methane level (CH4) image above.
When massive methane clathrate releases from ocean coastal shelves start occurring we are looking at the beginning of near-total or total human extinction unfolding before on near 2070.
32. massive tectonic plate weight change from weight changes in melting ice and rising seas above the tectonic plates causing increased earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all of which except the earthquakes and volcanoes results in more heat speeding up the whole process of more positive feedback loops, more points of no return and crossing more tipping points.
33. The full runaway global heating neat-total extinction and final global warming tipping point. This global warming extinction tipping point is estimated to begin when we reach carbon 750 ppm sometime from 2070-2090. (Please read the precise, detailed, and complex climate processes, steps, actions, and reactions that take place as we cross the carbon 750 ppm tipping point. Go to this page and go to the section called, "The fourth and most dangerous global warming near-total extinction tipping point, that we will begin crossing into sometime after 2070: It creates the runaway greenhouse gas effect global and near-total extinction," or click the image of the atmosphere being ripped off the planet below.
We strongly recommend that you copy the above global warming emergency warming signs and consequences and post them on a wall. As you hear new media reports you will be able to see the consequence patterns evolving and this will assist you to adjust your emergency preparations.
6. What happens when most of our 12 global crises "feed" into each other's consequences and are amplified by global warming
Welcome to the rapidly unfolding first great global collapse.
The future is not just a single global crisis getting worse. It is most of the 12 crises getting worse simultaneously, and these individual global crises pushing other global crises faster and faster toward their internal tipping points. This cumulative and synergetic process of most of the 12 interconnected and often interdependent global crises pushing each other over their individual internal tipping points will produce a sudden and abrupt global collapse that will be all but impossible to recover from for almost all existing nations.
This worsening situation means that those living today (and future generations) will face a cascading convergence of worsening global catastrophes. These catastrophes collectively will crush the possibility of having a stable, predictable, or liveable future.
If left poorly managed as they are now, hundreds of millions then billions will suffer and die. Paradoxically, because so many will die, many of the above global crises will lessen dramatically or be radically reduced because there will be so few people left competing or fighting for survival or using fossil fuels.
There also could be a point where most of the coming mass human die-off will not be coming solely from starvation, global warming, or other global challenges. It will most likely come from scarce resources or border wars that could go nuclear, biological, or chemical as the remaining stable nations try to protect their boundaries and survival.
Take a few moments at this point. Ask yourself the following questions. How long do you think humanity can muddle on into the 21st century without effectively resolving the global warming doomsday emergency and the 11 other critical global challenges? Will we last until 2030, 2040, 2050, 2060, 2070, or the end of the 21st century? Most well-informed people think humanity will be lucky to make it into the 2040s or 2050s.
Now ask yourself, are our leaders and governments effectively handing all, most, or even any of these 12 critical global crises to our future?
The reality is that no existing emergency preparedness program, government, NGO, or international organization is even remotely close to being prepared for or capable of recovering from the convergence of Earth's greatest global crises fueled and accelerated by the great disruptor and keystone threat multiplier of accelerating global warming.
The "Great Convergence" of these 12 global challenges creates a whole planetary system emergency never before seen or experienced in human history. This "Great Convergence" is also the 'perfect storm of perfect storms' and the most likely spiraling initiator and combined cause for the extinction of the human species and the collapse of civilization within a few decades. (The latest 2004 update of the Club of Rome study anticipated that by around 2050, with a "business as usual" industry and the world population growth, over 70% of humanity could perish. Additionally, everyone left on the planet would be severely impacted.)
To help you understand only the global warming side of "Great Global Collapse," review the following global warming cascading meltdown illustration starting from the bottom up! Starting from the bottom, this illustration reflects the unfolding natural progression of ever-worsening and interacting consequences and tipping point processes that will occur as global warming continues to escalate pushing us toward our extinction.
The top of the illustration shows you the later phase Climageddon Scenario extinction model consequences. The bottom shows you the earlier consequences. For now just get a general idea of all the global warming consequences, tipping points, and human system factors that will be interacting and colliding as well as amplifying and multiplying each other as the Climageddon extinction scenario unfolds in phases and waves. (Full explanations of each tipping point and consequence are found here, the 11 key global warming tipping points and, here the 20 worst global warming consequences.)
Remember to start reviewing this illustration from the bottom up beginning with the heating of global warming escalating!
The above illustration help to illuminate how the Great Global Collapse will likely unfold and how it will affect everyone in its path In one way or another, directly or indirectly, as the above list of heat-driven global warming-related consequences increase in severity, frequency, and scale (because of our failure to meet the life-critical 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets.)
7. How human system and interconnected secondary global warming consequences will interact with, accelerate, and amplify our other 11 major global crises
The following more detailed secondary consequences will also occur as we grow closer to our doomsday for humanity and the collapse of global civilization. While you are reading the following secondary consequences, again imagine how these consequences might control or destroy essential areas of your life, family, business, or nation.
Most of the following secondary consequences are contextually interconnected and interdependent. Some also exist in transformational relationships and processes which will also amplify or multiply each other's consequences, or disrupt our abilities to control these consequences.
Many of the following secondary global warming consequences are already occurring today at some level. When reading the following global collapse secondary consequence list, keep in mind that the primary consequences listed earlier on the list are occurring now or will be occurring first. The secondary consequences listed near the end of the following list will take longer to unfold.
The more humanized secondary consequences listed below are also critical warning signs to watch for in the news for you to know that the global collapse process is worsening or accelerating in your area. Many of the following secondary global warming consequences are also powerful drivers that will accelerate mass migrations from high-risk areas.
8. The secondary more dangerous, quality-of-life consequences, warning signals, and predictions for your immediate and long term future
For most people, it is painful and challenging to grasp that "as bad as the primary consequences of global warming are (listed above,) the secondary consequences below (driven directly or indirectly by accelerating global warming) will be far worse!" This is because the secondary consequences will more directly affect and destabilize your day-to-day personal life.
Many of these secondary consequences are already occurring or will occur concurrently with many of the later primary consequences as they unfold! Imagine your worst visions of an expanding Mad Max-like dystopian world as the mass human extinction deepens. Imagine a world where police, mental health, prison, medical, governmental systems, and governments are collapsing or have collapsed.
Imagine roaming warlords, criminal gangs, and starving people fighting for survival, taking whatever they want whenever they want. That is a glimpse of the descending hell of the worsening secondary consequences that will unfold while the primary global warming consequences are also unfolding.
Here are the secondary and indirect consequences and warning signals of accelerating global heating:
1. Because of increased global warming and other global challenge-related work disruptions and stresses, the total human capacity to work outside of enclosures and even inside will go down significantly. This will cause more business and product distribution interruptions, business and personal uncertainty as well as more unemployment and homelessness.
2. As we experience the worsening of global heating-related consequences as described on this page, there will be more shortages of necessary raw and manufactured resources. Because of increasing climate-related work interruptions and the other climate consequences listed on this page, the dependable production and distribution of food, medical supplies, and other essential supplies will continue to be significantly reduced or break down entirely. In the new world of continually escalating climate consequences, the consistency and dependability of business practices such as the "just in time inventory delivery" system will be severely challenged.
The critical thing to understand about shortages of raw and manufactured resources is that they bring out the worst in people. Resource shortages in populations have been shown in numerous studies to produce more competitiveness, aggression, polarization, "othering," and blame. When a population goes under the duress of resource shortages, they look for scapegoats to blame for their conditions and often target those "othered" scapegoats for severe and aggressive retribution. These natural resource scarcity reactions will further make living conditions considerably worse.
Social, economic, and political polarization, which is already significant and widespread worldwide, may, of and by itself, use other worsening consequences on this page as a trigger for initiating massive civil disorder long before the worst climate consequences can unfold. To say the world is highly volatile right now and that many of its existing economic and political systems (listed above in the global crises section) are already weakened and that it won't take much of a match to explode global societal stability is a huge understatement.
As a result of the coming anticipated resource shortages, individuals, businesses, and nations will need to store far more emergency backup supplies, become far more resilient and adaptable, and in many cases begin directly producing their food and other critical supplies locally. (During the Covid pandemic, we saw this resource supply and distribution crisis occur in global, national, and even local manufacturing, supply, and distribution chains.)
3. There will be less food available from failed and shrinking food crops due to accelerating and escalating climate consequences. The factors that will wreak havoc on crops are; extreme heat lasting 30 days or more during the growing season; hail; wildfires; droughts; fields flooding for extended periods after planting or during the growing season due to rain bombs; high wind events like Derechos or hurricanes; nonseasonal weather; and other extreme weather which will continue to increase in frequency, severity, and scale. It cannot be emphasized enough that starvation far beyond anything we can envision today will be a leading and ever-escalating cause of increasing human death as we approach mid-century.
4. Food prices will rise considerably more than the normal cost of living increases. Most food costs will go up by an estimated 30% or more in the next 3-9-7 years! (For example, fish prices will rise considerably as the remaining over-stressed fish stocks are depleted to near extinction.
5. More and more people will be starving worldwide. No charity, NGO, or government agency responsible for emergencies and disaster recovery will ever be able to keep up with the costs of the food, housing, medical or other needs created by continuously escalating climate catastrophes as they continue to increase frequency, severity, and scale.
This starvation and increasing shortages of medical and other critical supplies will drive people to unfathomable violence to meet their survival needs. There will be intense anger because those who previously had adequate food and other essentials will no longer have those basic needs and stability. These starving individuals will also begin violent attacks on any groups, businesses, or governments they blame for their predicament.
6. The cost of living, for repair, maintenance, building, or rebuilding in the very limited global warming safer areas will continue to rise significantly. There will be more homelessness everywhere.
7. There will be increasing and more frequent pandemics, disease outbreaks, and epidemics as conditions worsen and health services are stretched thin.
8. There be rapidly increasing mass migrations of hundreds of millions then billions of starving, sick, and unemployed people fleeing from the many growing climate consequences and an ever-increasing number of unstable or collapsed economies or nations. (These individuals will soon accelerate their migrations out of Central and South America, Africa, and Southeast Asia as temperatures continue to rise and conditions worsen faster in those areas.)
9. There will be widespread, survival-driven criminality by larger and larger portions of a starving, unemployed poor, homeless, or migrant population. (Imagine increasing numbers of desperate individuals and groups trying to stay alive by any means possible. Now imagine your favorite dystopian movie like Mad Max. This will give you a small taste of what the future struggle to stay alive will be like as most of the global challenges mentioned earlier continue to worsen.
10. Because of the growing survival-driven violence and criminality, migrations, and social and political chaos, governments will impose states of emergency, new draconian migration regulations, and martial law resulting in increased severe restrictions, suffering, and the loss of many hard-won human rights. Nations will be forced to become more military and totalitarian in their control of the population to deal with the growing starvation, chaos, and shortages of essential resources. Political society will regress to more authoritarian or tribal warlike leaders and governments as fear increases.
The global warming safer nations above the 45th parallel will increasingly fortify their borders will walls and other defensive barricades. They will enhance and expand all other methods to keep the ever-rising hoards of starving desperate climagees from crossing their borders. Do not be surprised to see in the news that global warming safer nations start enacting increasing fines and prison sentences for anyone aiding, sheltering, or employing illegal climagees.
It is important to be aware that democracies can only exist and grow with an environmental surplus or sufficiency. Because of the many accelerating global heating-related consequences, democracies worldwide will be forced to become less democratic and more authoritarian. This political change in democracies will happen because global heating will continue to destroy valuable resources. With more destroyed or unusable resources, the world's population also will become significantly more competitive, more aggressive, and even more polarized than it is now.
11. As the social, economic, and political chaos spreads, it will trigger more regional, national, and international conflicts and conventional wars. Governments will eventually declare martial law as things deteriorate, and more human rights will be suspended. People in fear will rally behind any "strongman" or dictator who promises them food and security. In this chaotic environment, injustices and inequities will rise exponentially and make the atmosphere even worse. (Think of almost any current injustice or inequity and imagine what will happen to them in an even more unstable and resource-scarce social climate.)
After governments break down, warlords, tribes, clans, and criminal gangs will take control, and chaos will grow even greater.
As conflict conditions worsen, it also is highly probable that remaining regional, national, or international conflicts will also become nuclear, biological, or chemical conflicts. These conflicts will be directly due to increasing food and other resource scarcity, the scarcity of global warming-safe land, unstoppable mass migrations, and the many other consequences listed on this page. Desperate nations' nuclear, biological, or chemical warfare will probably end humanity long, long before the worst global warming extinction consequences can fully unfold.
Intensifying global conflicts due to the direct or indirect effects of global warming is another critical mega warning sign.
12. Things will get so bad that national and international courts worldwide will begin convicting and severely punishing individuals, corporations, and even governments of acts of commission or omission that directly or indirectly caused, contributed to, or enabled the ongoing climate change-related financial losses and mass human and biological extinction.
13. Because of both the worsening of the primary and secondary consequences in this document and the every-rising percentage of the GDP of countries having to go towards global warming consequence recovery and repair, first local, then regional, and then the national banks in the weaker nations will fail. Next, banks and national reserve banks in stronger national will also fail. Finally, even the largest multinational banking institutions will fall as smaller banks fail. As we approach the end, not even the World Bank, the IMF, or the richest national sovereign wealth funds and reserves will remain stable.
14. When all of the above items are taken collectively, it will cause even the strongest nations' economies and political systems to begin the economic and political collapse process.
15. Once many of the national governments have collapsed, the nuclear reactors, chemical, and biological weapons, and their manufacturing, service, and storage facilities will become compromised. This is because there will be no or few functioning national governments to maintain basic safe operations or security for these sites. Hundreds of millions will sicken and die as nuclear reactors go critical and meltdown spewing toxic radiation worldwide. Millions more will sicken as die from the additional releases of insecure biological weapons and toxic industrial chemicals. If too many nuclear reactors go critical and meltdown, the resulting radiation circling the planets will kill off everything.
16. As all of the above intensifies, human suffering and global deaths will continue to rise exponentially! Human deaths will eventually reach mass extinction and begin approaching the near-total extinction levels. What we have known to be national or global civilizations will collapse.
17. If there are any unlucky survivors after the Great Global Collapse, they will most likely enter a new Dark Age. But, this will not be like the Dark Age that occurred during the Middle Ages. It will be far worse because most of the natural resources that were available during the original Dark Age already will have been depleted, and much of the planet will be toxic. And finally,
18. If we do not experience near-total extinction in a complete runaway global warming event, and we make it through the post-collapse new Dark Ages. In that case, it will take centuries to thousands of years for nature and the climate system to come back into balance. Only then will the conditions suitable for humans to thrive once again exist-- if any humans are left at that time.
Hopefully, at this far distant time, any surviving bands, clans, tribes, or communities still functioning will have learned the first great global collapse lessons, and they will have changed their behaviors. They will now model the needed new behaviors, such as the principles of sustainable prosperity and the principles of evolutionary success, among other new possible policies to finally resolve all of the issues raised in the global challenges described above.
If these survivors have genuinely learned the lessons from the first great global collapse of civilization, they will develop a new worldview and new fairer economic, political, and social systems. This new worldview will provide the tools and opportunity for a tremendous new re-building and reboot of humanity.
Humanity will have an opportunity to experience a unique renaissance where humankind and nature come into a balance that allows both to flourish once again. Whatever is left of humanity will hopefully once again, restart the greatest evolutionary adventure in our history.
No one in their right mind would even want to try to survive all of the physical, emotional, and spiritual trauma that the above climate consequences will rain down on those unlucky enough to survive the first levels of this extinction process. The above is not survivable in any way one could call living, and the above will become unsurvivable and unbearable long before the worse consequences occur.
Yet, despite everything you have read so far, some ultra-wealthy individuals still believe they can somehow survive all of the above global heating-triggered or climate-interconnected consequences. Click here to see the special place of suffering in global heating hell that these foolish individuals will be creating for themselves!
Fasten your seat belts. Strap on your shoulder harness and put on your helmets. We are entering the extreme turbulence of the beginning of a global collapse process. The COVID-19 pandemic and the current global recession/depression are just a very small beginning of it.
Unfortunately, it is going to get a whole lot worse before our governments take our current emergency situation seriously and act! The baby boomers (born from 1946 to 1964) are likely to be the last generation that will experience any near-continuous measure of stability, security, and safety during their lifespans. But even they will have a very rough ride as they approach the end of their years.
One could easily call all of the primary and secondary consequences of the global warming emergency a perfect definition for the new emotional malady many are calling a feeling of climate doom. And finally, we strongly recommend that you copy these global collapse warming signs and consequences and post them on a wall. As you hear new media reports you will be able to see the patterns evolving and this will assist you to adjust your emergency preparations. This will help manage any feelings of climate doom you might be feeling.
9. How the primary and secondary consequences will affect your financial future and the national and global economy
The cumulative financial effect of more of the primary and secondary consequences (above) coming online fasters will be financially devastating to individuals, businesses, and nations long before the worst climate consequences cause mass extinction.
The scariest thing about the following estimates and timetables for climate financial losses is that almost no accurate compensatory loss calculations are being used by the world's governments or the biggest investment banks, hedge funds, national reserve banks, etc., in their financial decisions and projections! This failure to plan for these well-predicted climate losses in the budgets of individuals, businesses, and nations is the recipe for individual, national, and global financial unpredictability, instability, and disaster.
How the costs of the primary and secondary related consequences of global warming will affect your finances:
a. Food costs will rise steadily with failed crops and reduced crop yields. In 10-20 years, the average middle-class family will be spending 50-60% or more of its total budget on food.
b. Homes prices in global warming safer areas will soar. Home repair and maintenance costs will become unbearable in many global warming high-risk areas because of climate damage.
c. As more people realize the dangers of the runaway global heating extinction emergency, emergency preparation and critical adaptation supplies costs will rise dramatically. Supplies of these items will be in continual shortage.
d. Medical and energy costs will rise significantly because those services and products will be battered by manufacturing and distribution problems as global warming consequences make it harder and harder to do business as usual.
How the costs of the primary and secondary related consequences of global warming will affect global finances:
a. Currently, all global warming-related consequences are costing the world about 2-3% of the global GDP. (Gross domestic product [GDP] is a monetary measure of the value of all goods and services produced in a given period [quarterly or yearly].)
b. By 2025, all global warming-related consequences will cost the world an estimated 4-5% of the global GDP.
c. By 2030, all global warming-related consequences will cost the world an estimated 6-7% of the global GDP. (Sometime shortly after 2030, global warming consequences go from accelerating in a steadily rising linear line to climbing in a rapidly increasing exponential curve.)
d. By 2035, all global warming-related consequences will cost the world an estimated 8-12% of the global GDP.
e. By 2040, all global warming-related consequences will cost the world an estimated 13-17% of the global GDP.
g. By 2045, all global warming-related consequences will cost the world an estimated 18-23% of the global GDP.
g. By 2050, all global warming-related consequences will cost the world an estimated 24-29% of the global GDP.
h. By 2070, all global warming-related consequences will cost the world an estimated 30% or more of the global GDP.
i. By 2100, if we are still around, global warming-related consequences will cost the world most of its global GDP.
It will be all but impossible for any individual, business, or nation to function sustainably with costs from global warming-related consequences rising as described above. But, on the other hand, it is not unreasonable to believe that a global economic collapse fueled in part by the rising damages caused by global heating could slow down global fossil fuel use so much that it could paradoxically also save humanity from near-total extinction.
Other Members-only pages of this website will provide additional financial detail and clearer timetables on how accelerating global warming, if left unresolved, will slowly but steadily create economic chaos and finally collapse the global economy.
10. Will we be able to adapt our way out of accelerating global heating and a Great Global Collapse
There will be many minor consequences that individuals or businesses will initially adapt their way out of. But, as the above-interrelated consequences intensify, multiply, and speed up, it is doubtful that any organization or nation will be able to harden its critical infrastructure to come close to adapting to what's coming.
Massive government-driven hardening critical infrastructure will not work in most areas because:
1.) The sheer size of the infrastructure needed to be hardened is so vast that no nation or corporation has enough laborers or money to build the needed infrastructure. For example, imagine all of the following infrastructure areas having to be hardened at the same time; higher sea walls, dikes, and levies, new water reservoirs, new street drainage systems to remove massive rain bomb deluges, raising or moving roads, moving sewage and water treatment plants, moving electrical and communications infrastructure, etc.)
2. As all of the above-interrelated collapse consequences intensify, multiply, and speed up, it will be impossible to build the needed hardened new infrastructure fast enough to keep up with the abrupt and ever-worsening consequences. Once any nation plans for 500-year storms, they will get hit by 1,000-year and 10,000-year storms. Once they harden all buildings to a category five hurricane-level of hardness, category six and category seven hurricanes will start appearing regularly. Furthermore, big infrastructure projects often take years to plan and often decades to complete.
3. Infrastructure hardening only for the affluent areas will transfer even more problems to the poorer regions, creating even worse social and political issues.
It does not take an Albert Einstein to see that adapting and hardening existing national infrastructure to withstand what is coming is not a viable large-scale or long-term strategy.
11. What global areas will be hit by escalating global heating worse than others
Global warming consequences will occur almost everywhere. But, in general, some world areas will suffer less frequent and severe global warming consequences. The map below generally illustrates what global warming consequence intensity distribution will look like:
1. Consequence severity will increase rapidly in severity, frequency, and scale for many of the primary and secondary consequences mentioned above within the next 5-10 years in the areas between the 25th parallel north and the 25th parallel south. As a result, there will be accelerated or abrupt collapses of local, regional, or national farming and other ecological, economic, social, and political systems.
2. Within the next 10 to 20 years, the areas of increasing consequence severity, frequency, and scale for most of the primary and secondary consequences listed above will generally expand throughout the spaces between the 35th parallel north and the 35th parallel south. As a result, there will be accelerated or abrupt collapses of local, regional, or national farming and other ecological, economic, social, and political systems.
3. Within 20 to 30 years, life will regularly become highly chaotic and unstable for those unfortunate individuals and businesses still trying to live and operate below the 45th parallel north or above the 45th parallel south. Global warming consequences within that area will begin to increase exponentially in severity, frequency, and scale. As a result, there will be accelerated or abrupt collapses of local, regional, or national farming and other ecological, economic, social, and political systems.
Life between the 45 and 55th parallel north and south will generally be better than other areas if those areas have water, cooler summer temperatures, and decent soils. However, areas above the 55th parallel north and south will have many problems, including poor soils and short growing seasons that will make survival much more complicated.
Depending on your current or ultimate location, financial loss, starvation, and death tolls from the primary or secondary global warming-related or global warming-triggered catastrophes will continue rising until we reach the late phases of the Climageddon Extinction Scenario.
This mass die-off by mid-century will occur primarily because of mass starvation, migration wars, civil unrest, and many of the other 20 worst global warming consequences, and 11 dangerous tipping points cross-triggering each other. This mass die-off will also occur because we crossed the carbon 500 ppm extinction level tipping point.
12. Depending on your current location, use this timetable to prepare for and adapt to global heating-related primary and secondary consequences
To help you determine how much time you have to prepare, adapt, or relocate, we have provided the global warming and interrelated crisis timetable below. Keep in mind that this timetable significantly depends on your current location's safety and global warming risk level.
If you are in a higher-risk area, the timeframes are shorter! Also, please keep in mind that while you are preparing and adapting keep pushing our governments to radically reduce global fossil fuel use so that some of humanity will be able to survive mass extinction or near-total extinction even though the current odds are terrible.
Here are the critical-survival and location-relevant deadlines and timeframes to know and use for your personal and business survival:
a. The 5-year deadline: (From now until the end of 2025.) At this time, it is appropriate to admit it is all but impossible for us to fully meet the total 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets! But, we still do have enough time left to slow down (but not avoid) a mid-century mass extinction event for much of humanity by getting close to them. Thus, although we have passed the point of avoiding the die-off of much of humanity, we still can maintain some level of control of our global warming future. And most importantly, we can still prevent near-total extinction by getting very close to the 2025 targets!
This near-total extinction danger also means we have to educate the world about the extinction-evoking global warming tipping point deadlines after preparing our survival provisions and in some cases, after creating safe and sustainable community cooperatives or sanctuaries. (See this Plan B emergency plan page, which discusses how to prepare in the safest locations and what are the least safe places to ride out the global warming extinction emergency.)
b. The 5-10-year deadline: (This assumes we will miss the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets and did not get close to them.) From 2020 to 2027, global warming consequences will steadily worsen in a rising but steeper linear progression. More people will wisely migrate to safer areas. Millions will die because of climate-related food shortages and other global warming-related catastrophes.
If you have prepared, adapted, and if applicable, are in a global warming safer location before 2027, and you have a good Plan B in place, depending upon your location, relative stability and security for family and business are probable until about 2030 to possibly 2040. (See this Plan B emergency plan page, which discusses how to prepare in the safest locations and what are the least safe places to ride out the global warming extinction emergency.)
c. The 10-15 year deadline: (This assumes we will miss the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets, and we did not get close to the 2025 targets.) After 2030-2035 many other climate, human, ecological, political, and economic tipping points will be crossed due to accelerating global warming consequences and global warming amplifying the consequences of most of these 11 other critical global challenges.
The stability and security of even the safest and best prepared global warming safer locations will lessen and become increasingly challenging. Those individuals in supportive cooperatives or sustainable communities should be significantly safer and better adapted than those who are not. (See this Plan B emergency plan page, which discusses how to prepare in the safest locations and what are the least safe places to ride out the global warming extinction emergency.)
d. The 15-25 year deadline: (This assumes we will miss the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets, and we did not get close to meeting these targets.) Beginning around 2030, the frequency, severity, and size of the 20 worst global warming consequences will move from a steeply rising linear progression into an exponential progression. As a result, stability and security for even the best prepared, safer global warming locations, cooperatives, and sustainable communities will become far more complex and precarious. (See this Plan B emergency plan page, which discusses how to prepare in the safest locations and what are the least safe places to ride out the global warming extinction emergency.)
e. The 25-30-year deadline: (This assumes we will miss the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets, and at least, we got close to them or compensated for these targets somewhere over this period.) By mid-century, extinction for much of humanity will still be unavoidable. From 2030-2050 will be the riskiest period to survive for much to most of society. Generally, things will be better in safer global warming locations, special cooperatives, and sustainable communities. But even there, survival is far from guaranteed without the highest levels of preparation, adaptation, and cooperation. (See this Plan B emergency plan page, which discusses how to prepare in the safest locations and what are the least safe places to ride out the global warming extinction emergency.)
f. The 50-year deadline: (This assumes we will miss the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets, and unfortunately, we did not even get close to them.) In this case, we will face the worst consequences of runaway global warming. We will be heading toward the beginning of the runaway greenhouse gas effect, which ripped the atmosphere off Venus. Because of this escalating runaway global warming reality and not getting close to the 2025 reduction targets, humanity will, unfortunately, finally face a near-total extinction event beginning as soon as 2070-2100. We call this the last phase of the Climageddon Scenario.
From the above, and depending on your current location, most of us still have a significant amount of time left to prepare for what is coming. (In your planning keep in mind that it normally will take about 2-3 years to complete all of the preparations and adaptations at a new location (building an organic garden, installing solar and water capture, wildfire proofing, etc.)
By having the most accurate and realistic emergency time frames, you can
Yes, we do face accelerating, multiplying, and extreme hardships over the next 3-5 decades. But, let's not make ourselves overly worried by believing the many inertias (resistances to change) within our climate and human systems will be completely overcome within as little as one decade.
While it is true that Climate change IS moving faster than ever before in human history, it is still moving within relative geological timeframes where 3-5 decades is not even a blink of an eye in geological time. So, unless you see your grocery bill suddenly go up by 50-100% because of crop failures linked to global warming, or you hear that the Thwaites "doomsday glacier" in Antarctica has completely broken off and has slid entirely into the ocean, there is no need to panic. There is still adequate time for you to methodically get prepared, adapt, and even relocate if that is right for your circumstances.
And, there is a positive role for the fear you may still be feeling. Feeling fear is appropriate and useful to feel in this emergency!
At this dangerous juncture in the evolution of humanity, it is also wholly appropriate to feel some fear because of the many known consequences of accelerating global warming and the worsening of these 11 other global crises. While generalized fear or panic often paralyzes, there are positive evolutionary reasons for fear's emotion. The positive use of fear exists for those rare times when there are REAL threats to your survival. Positive fear mobilizes the observant and wise to act before it is too late!
Here is the most critical deadline for our focus. If we at least get close to the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets, we can still prevent total human extinction. If we do not, we begin crossing too many additional extinction-triggering tipping points. If we do not come close to the 2025 targets, things will happen far too fast to prevent the worst consequences of runaway global warming multiplying the worsening effects of the other 11 major global crises.
13. The 9 biggest reasons why most of our above 12 critical global crises have not been solved or will be nearly impossible to fix
Why we are in this nightmare?
The following are not all of the reasons that it is highly unlikely that we will be able to resolve the above global crises. They are prioritized by the most important reasons first. They are not all of the reasons, but only several of the most important and overarching reasons:
Reason 1: Our failure to evolve effective global governance with the needed legislative, judicial, and enforceable executive powers to solve all of the global challenges that cross national borders. If you think about it deeply, you will discover that this critical evolutionary failure of not having yet developed effective global governance is a core structural cause of why most of our current 12 biggest global crises have not been resolved, and they continue to worsen.
Even though it looks like someone is managing the well-being of the planet as a whole from the United Nations or our international treaties, this is an illusion! No one governing body is effectively or responsibly driving our global "car," and this collective "car is speeding toward a cliff without any single and empowered organization in the driver's seat.
Reason 2: The world's political and economic leaders have no idea about the ecological, energy, and historical principles and reasoning in the book Overshoot by William Catton. Overpopulation and its unavoidable over-consumption (overshoot) beyond our carrying capacity IS the major core cause behind today's global warming emergency. Resource overshoot is also a fundamental underlying cause for almost all of humanity's 12 biggest global crises (discussed above.)
The Overshoot book covers the many civilization-ending aspects of what happens when over-consumption beyond our carrying capacity occurs. If our political and economic leaders do not also understand the overshoot concepts within this book, we will not solve the 12 global crises we now all face.
Reason 3: Wealthy vested interests have compromised the effectiveness of our national governments. More often than not, our national government's decisions are not based on the general population's long-term wellbeing. They are based on increasing the short-term financial and power advantages of a very few ultra-wealthy individuals and corporations funding politicians openly or secretly. Consequently, decisions favoring the interests of the privileged ultra-wealthy most often harm the general well-being of the many.
Reason 4: We have hunter/gatherer brains developed before the stone age, trying to manage the twenty-first century's highly complex, self-organizing global systems. The physical structure of our minds has not advanced in over a million years. Our biological brains were developed in response to the simple stone-age demands of hunting and gathering food.
Our stone age brain structure cannot sufficiently understand or do all of the complex data, analyses, and calculations needed to manage complex adaptable systems like the global climate, the global economy, the global environment, and balancing and managing international and global politics without endless war and conflicts.
The average planetary IQ is only about 100. Even genius-level individuals (IQ 140 and up) cannot stay up with the ever-increasing amounts of new information and ever-increasing technical and other global system complexities. To cope, our stone-age brains automatically revert to behaviors based on emotions, self-interest, and the comfort of superstitions. Consequently, we regularly do not understand or see the most severe problems within the various global systems until it is too late to avoid the worst possible catastrophes, i.e., the global warming extinction emergency and the ongoing collapse of global civilization. (Both of which are occurring because of either the convergence or the amplification of the global challenges listed above.)
Reason 5: Most of our current leaders have both stone-age minds and stone-age leadership qualities.
We are still evolving members of the ape family. We proudly try to distance ourselves from our ape animal roots by calling ourselves, humans. Despite our cultures continually trying to make us unaware of being evolving animals, we are all still mostly subject to our ancient biological animal drives, and so too it is with our current leaders.
Most of our current leaders had to have a high degree of stone-age alpha male qualities, or they would have never become leaders in their area. Those stone-age alpha leadership qualities are used to command the pack with fear of violence, actual violence, and deceit. They most often use these and other aggressive intimidation tactics for maintaining their power, privilege, and self-interest.
Stone age alphas will give excellent lip service to the common goals or the greater good of all, but they are always cleverly protecting and forwarding their own self-interests or adding to their assets, most often, at the expense of those they lead.
Unless society can remove these unevolved stone-age alphas from group leadership positions, it will continue to have the world we have now, and it will be far more difficult fixing it.
This deficient stone-age leadership problem means societies worldwide will soon need to establish minimum levels for their leaders' cognitive, social/emotional, and moral developmental levels. To manage the complexity and vast amounts of modern society information, our societies should also set minimum educational and intelligence levels for all critical leaders. We also need to ensure our leaders are well versed in scientific falsification methodology, basic logic, systems thinking, ethics, and dialectical meta-systemic thinking (Otto Laske.)
Not only should there be minimal developmental and skill levels set for all critical leadership positions, but there also should be recommended levels for cognitive, social-emotional, and moral development, education, and intelligence. This way the population can make better choices about who to elect or choose for their leaders for critical positions. (Luckily, science has already laid out the highest levels of human cognitive, social-emotional, and moral development in the works of Abraham Maslow, Claire Graves, Robert Kegan, Lawrence Kohlberg, and Otto Laske.
Today's world does not need more aggressive, self-centered, and genetically confident stone-age alpha leaders. We need more of the new and evolved alpha leaders.
To successfully solve the world's current challenges, societies must eventually remove all stone-age alpha leaders from their most crucial power positions. It must replace them with the best-educated, smartest, and most cognitively, social-emotionally and morally developed new alpha leaders.
With these highly-evolved new alpha leaders, we will have the leaders needed for today's complex world. They will be the leaders genuinely dedicated to using their skills and gifts to resolve our current problems in ways that truly improve the collective's overall wellbeing.
For more about dialectical meta systemic thinking, click here.
Reason 6: Evolved human psychology drives individuals toward self-centered individual survival
Humans cannot escape the numerous strong survival drives that have been hard-wired into them over millions of years of vertebrate evolution.
Because of the rapidness of messaging, we can't take the time to research and understand complex issues or correctly operate the equipment. To "cope," the human brain invents "shortcuts" - i.e., "superstitions" about what has been said or how things work. Because of the continual breakdown of equipment and interpersonal interactions and the rapid emotional media assault of messages, individuals believe they are being assaulted. The assaults are interpreted as "threats" by our evolved self-centered personal defenses for survival. They are direct attacks on our inherent concepts of individual freedom. Our "fight or flight" defenses evolved to deal with "tangible" adversaries. Our brain uses the invented superstitions to assign "blame" for their pain. The blame must have a "name"! This complexity and flawed language vs. freedom dichotomy directly explain the current extreme polarization of social groups, governments, and political beliefs.
Ironically, before science broke open our vast understanding of nature, the forces of nature, in the form of demons, were the most common culprits. With such thinking largely discredited, our made-up superstitions are now more often aimed at each other! These "selfish gene" drives lead to social conflict and violence. When confronted with this, society's response has gone from simple admonishment to putting people in prison or even putting them to death. The problem is, these drives run so deep, even this entire range of responses has failed. The results have been 12,000+ years of war and conflict. To reach a peaceful, sustainable future, radically new approaches are needed for managing the self-interest vs. community-interest conflict. A patchwork of fixes has not worked and will not work.
Reason 7: Our stone-age impaired brains are also being attacked and compromised by 4th generation mind control technology enabled by supercomputers, advanced algorithms, artificial intelligence (AI) software, and today's social media and search platforms. This social media-enabled mind control attack of hidden manipulation is not only enhancing tensions and polarizing people worldwide. It is also causing people to no longer be able to reason out or understand what is true or fake.
This mind control is dangerous because, without the ability to see and know truth from falsehood independently, the world will continue making terrible decisions on our many global challenges. Social media fake news propagation is also super-charging racial, ethnic, religious, and national political tensions worldwide to make matters worse. This super-charging effect will eventually and most certainly produce more racial, ethnic, religious, and national conflicts, maybe even new race, ethnic, religious, and national wars.
Before we describe the basics of 4th generation mind control, we strongly recommend to first watch the shocking Netflix documentary called The Social Dilemma. It will set the necessary foundation for you to understand the invisible tactics used and to know why fourth-generation mind control is already another severe and vast problem inhibiting our ability to solve our current global challenges. Additionally, the everyday use of fourth-generation mind control by social media companies is not only inhibiting our ability to think and solve our global challenges; it is also significantly accelerating the worse consequences of those challenges.
In this new documentary, you will hear top executives from Silicon Valley's most prominent social media companies telling you the world is in a new grave danger, and that we must regulate and remove this danger immediately. They also will warn you that AI and supercomputers have twisted social media into a new form of ultra-sophisticated, hidden nano-manipulation whose fundamental purpose is to get you to change your opinions, beliefs, and sense of identity to ultimately change your behavior without either your awareness or conscious consent.
Once you have viewed the Netflix documentary called The Social Dilemma, you are ready to continue with this brief explanation of the four generations of mind control:
a. First-generation mild control is almost as old as humanity. It appeared in ancient Egyptian and other cults where a member was put through many highly restrictive, cathartic, and stressful experiences. This process would often also involve the use of drugs and a fake death and a "miraculous drugged "rebirth from the "death" experience. The reborn individual would then assume the cult's new identity because the cult had saved their lives.
The subject usually also became a fanatical true believer. First-generation mind control was time-consuming and labor-intensive. Think of it as a one-by-one assembly line. (For more, see the initiation rites of Hashish Assassins.)
b. Second-generation mild control was advanced in the 1950s when modern psychology tactics were integrated with many ancient first-generation cult tactics. The Russians, Koreans, and the Chinese all used second-generation tactics in their Gulags and though-reform prison camps on political dissidents. The Koreans made second-generation mind control effectiveness famous when they captured US Air Force pilots and used it so effectively that the pilots went on International TV and denounced America and the American way of life.
Second-generation mind control was more refined and also less time-consuming. Numerous handlers were still needed in the prison camps to execute the program to apply and maintain continuous stress on the subject until they broke. Think of an assembly line that could produce more cost-effective mind control victims whose opinions, beliefs and identity had been radically changed. (For more, search the descriptions of what was done in Korea to downed US pilots during the Korean war.
c. Third-generation mild control was advanced in the 1960s by cults like Scientology, the Moonies, and Hare Krishna. Here coercive influence tactics of modern psychology were integrated with many of the ancient first-generation cult tactics. Unlike the Russians, Korean, and the Chinese Gulags and their use of thought-reform prison camps, these modern cults had refined the mind control tactics to newer micro-influence levels no longer requiring physical constraint or physical abuse.
Third-generation mind control was less time-consuming and labor-intensive because it could be done not one-by-one, like in earlier mind control generations, but on a whole group of people at the same time. This group application was achieved by controlling almost every area of their existence by the cult. (What they wore, ate, thought, did, etc.)
Stress was still applied continuously but more skillfully, secretively, and gradually in micro-steps. Think of a faster, better coercive influence group assembly line, which also could produce more cost-effective mind control victims whose opinions, beliefs, and identity had been radically changed more efficiently and faster. (If you read George Orwell's 1984, you will have a good idea of what life was like inside these third-generation mind-control cults. For more, search for what was done to victims of the cults mentioned above in the many lawsuits filed against them.)
d. Fourth-generation mild control began not long after the creation of social media, and Silicon Valley launched the new search platforms. Fourth-generation mind control makes a very significant big jump from an individual or group application to mass application. No longer did one have to be imprisoned or even be in a high-control, high restriction cult to be the victim of this new hidden and even more dangerous mind control.
Fourth-generation mind control uses supercomputers, artificial intelligence, complex algorithms, the psychology of influence and behavioral change, tightly controlled echo chambers, and some earlier generation deceit and hidden influence tactics. Fourth-generation mind control can create a meaningful and continuous influence over the subject in gradual nano-steps. These nano-steps make it even easier to change the subject's opinions, beliefs, and even their core sense of who they are (their identity), and they have no idea this is even being done.
Fourth-generation mind control is the least time-consuming and labor-intensive because it is done mostly by machines. It is being done to billions of people simultaneously, not just the small groups as in third-generation mind control. Stress is still applied continuously but far skillfully, secretively, and more gradually than in any other generation.
Think of a faster, better mass production assembly line that can more cost-effectively produce billions of mind control victims over the next few decades. Think of it as the fastest, most invisible, and advanced technology of modern civilization being used against our stone-age brains. Yes, our stone-age brains will never have a chance unless we regulate and ban them from being used on our children or manipulating every person now using social media. (For more, watch the Social Dilemma documentary on NetFlix. In clear and precise ways, it will show you the many subtle and invisible ways that today's social media is using fourth-generation mind control to invisibly change your opinions, beliefs, identity, and behavior without your awareness or consent.
Reason 8: There is no realistic way that we will be able to slow accelerating global warming enough to prevent the mass extinction of much of humanity by mid-century for the many reasons found on this page.
Reason 9: Poor global heating education. Most all of humanity does not understand these ten critical facts about the global warming emergency. They also misunderstand these eight crucial qualities of the global warming emergency.
For a dozen additional powerful reasons, humanity will most probably not be able to prevent climate collapse and near-total to near-total extinction, see this page.
14. The 10 most important things that most people least understand about accelerating global heating consequences and the runaway global heating extinction emergency
Click here to go to this page. You will be surprised and informed by what you find and what most people do not get!
15. Last thoughts on why "all is not hopeless" and while a global heating consequence-driven near-total extinction is probable, a total extinction is not realistic
Understanding the bitter differences between a global heating-driven mass extinction, a near-total extinction event, and a total extinction event is essential. This section will clarify those differences and restore a rational, balanced, and scientifically appropriate hope for our climate future.
The different levels of global heating-driven extinction are defined as:
- A global heating-driven mass human extinction is already here and is currently unavoidable. It is unavoidable because of our 60 years of climate inaction and denial. We have been so grossly ineffective in slowing and reversing global heating for so long that about half of the human population will die by mid-century.
- A global heating-driven near-total human extinction is a scenario where as much as 90-99% of humanity could go extinct before we slow and reverse the current runaway global heating. (Near-total extinction is partially described in the first three extinction-accelerating tipping points on this page and then on this page.)
- A global heating-driven total human extinction will occur if we allow carbon levels in the atmosphere to rise to 800 to 1700 parts per million (ppm). At those levels, we risk our atmosphere being pulled out into space and everything that depends upon oxygen suffocating and going entirely extinct at those carbon ppm levels.
Fortunately, long before we reach those extreme carbon 800-1700 atmospheric carbon ppm levels, Mother Nature will step in with her very tough medicine. Her excruciating intervention will result in close to a near-total extinction, but not total extinction! Moreover, mother Nature's tough medicine will intensify many of the primary and secondary consequences of global heating (described in detail on this page. These consequences will escalate in severity, frequency, and scale as global heating rises.)
At this point, you may be wondering how Mother Nature will "allow" a near-total human extinction event while preventing us from going totally extinct? It is a twist of dialectical evolutionary fate and great news for everyone who has worried that there is no climate hope left for humanity and our civilization.
Here is how and why a near-total extinction event is our most probable fate (unless we successfully get close to the radical 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets where this dire fate would be significantly lessened.)
- Directly or indirectly, Mother Nature's dependable "wheel of death" is already killing off tens of millions. To power this wheel of death, she simply intensifies existing climate and global heating-related consequences.
- In perfect lockstep with our rising global heating, Mother Nature will continue ratcheting-up her ever-intensifying consequences in lockstep with our increasing global heating to kill off hundreds of millions and then billions of us. This massive kill-off will continue unabated until there are so few of us left that humanity is simply no longer capable of raising or maintaining global temperatures by burning so much fossil fuel.
- The critical point at which Mother Nature will stop killing us off is when she has killed enough of us so that, at least, global fossil fuel use goes down to the point that no additional greenhouse gases are no longer being added to the atmosphere.
- The critical point where Mother Nature stops managing rising greenhouse gases (carbon, methane, and nitrous oxide) by killing us off will likely be well into the second half of the 21st century. (Unless our governments mass mobilize and come close to the 2025 targets.)
- Unfortunately, Mother Nature may keep killing us off with more intense consequences well beyond what she needs to do to stop the global mass burning of fossil fuels by the remaining population. And finally,
- One also cannot discount human counter-actions to runaway global heating. Although far less effective and not solutions that will save us by themselves or even collectively, they will contribute to a more significant portion of the human population ultimately surviving and suffering less. Human counter-actions are increasing natural carbon sequestration, expanding green energy generation, and conservation. These human counter-actions will be far less effective than getting close to the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets or Mother Nature's medicine of killing off most of the human population to radically cut the burning of fossil fuels.
Thanks primarily to the compensating counter-actions of Mother Nature, global heating will eventually level off, and there can be a realistic, balanced and appropriate hope some part of humanity will go on. But, unfortunately, only after enough of us die, and we are no longer capable of burning anywhere near the current amounts of fossil fuels that we are burning now. Nature's fossil fuel use "kill switch" will help ensure that humanity in its entirety will never go completely extinct.
Unfortunately, the bad news is that whoever survives will face centuries to thousands of years of suffering before Mother Nature can fully rebalance and get atmospheric carbon, methane, and nitrous oxide down to where our global temperature goes back to a level better suited for optimal human existence and reproduction.
Mother Nature's "Great Die-off" processes for saving humanity from itself as a fail-safe is genuinely excellent news. The bad news is how little of humanity she will likely save.
If we fail to radically reduce current global fossil fuel use to get close to the 2025 global targets, we will be lucky to have 1% to 10% of humanity still living in 2080 to 2100. This very high die-off is because global heating will keep rising for decades even after Mother Nature has killed off enough to stop adding more carbon, methane, and nitrous oxide levels to our atmosphere. (Global heating will continue to rise for another 2-3 decades after we stop burning fossil fuel levels because of pre-existing global heating momentum within the climate system.)
As you can see, all is not hopeless, and a global heating-driven total extinction is not the likely outcome of runaway global heating.
We believe that some individuals who do not adequately understand nature's total extinction protection mechanism are promoting an inevitable climate change total extinction future. They do not realize that almost every action in evolution has a dialectical, often equal, and opposite counter-action. Some of these "Doomers" have gone as far as to predict that current climate science proves humanity will be extinct within ten years of 2020.
Current climate research and dialectical meta-systemic analysis do not support these wild predictions of a climate-driven total human extinction in 10, 20, 30, or even 40 years. Moreover, these wild predictions of total human extinction are invalid because of the ongoing and continual counter-acting compensatory consequence reactions of Mother Nature to rising greenhouse gases as described above.
Please do not buy into the doomer movement's "all is already lost" predictions and distortions. We have time left to act, but we need everyone immediately rowing in the same direction at full strength to minimize future human extinction losses.
Click here to see what we must do to save ourselves and the future.
16. What must we do to have anything like a livable future
We need to handle the single greatest and most imminent core threat first before it crosses tipping points of no return. Then we can move forward on the other 11 global crises more effectively and wisely.
We must apply the principle of first things first. It's that simple. Global warming is our greatest, imminent threat and first priority. If we do not fix it fast, we will have no future.
Despite 35+ years of warnings about the global warming emergency, we have not slowed the single greatest accelerator and threat multiplier to the future other than immediate nuclear war. We have failed horribly in fixing global warming as well as most of our other 11 global crises.
We have a herculean challenge in front of us! It will drastically affect our economies, but it can be done!
We were able to shut down the world's economy because of our fear of millions dying in the COVID-19 pandemic. We should also do what is necessary to reduce global fossil fuel use to reach the 2025 targets because of the worse fear of billions dying.
We must start this difficult process by getting as close as possible to the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets, or, within just a few decades, we will go over the 425 ppm climate cliff. If that happens, we will cross the three extinction-insuring global warming tipping points quickly, making the future unlivable.
If you believe a cascading catastrophic convergence of the above 12 global crises to be a real possibility and threat within your lifetime, then take some time now to review our Job One for Humanity Plan. Please help mitigate and prepare for our current global warming emergency so that we can eventually resolve and survive our other 11 global crises.
The Job One Plan is also based on the simple logic that if we do not come close to the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets even when faced with a near-total extinction event, it is best to wisely use your remaining time and energy. The wise use of remaining time and energy would include:
1.) making your remaining time as fulfilling, meaningful, and comfortable as possible for as long as you can (Parts 1 and 2 of the Job One Plan.)
2.) doing everything to slow this doomsday catastrophe down and save and salvage as much of humanity and civilization for as long as you can. (Parts 3 and 4 of the Job One Plan.)
Doing the above two actions above is still far better than doing nothing and losing everything even sooner!
17. How to keep the difficult and disruptive facts of The Great Global Collapse found on this page in a balanced and more positive perspective
We will be able to avoid or delay some of the coming global warming consequences. Other consequences are now unavoidable due to our ignorance, incompetence, inaction, or selfishness. Despite the types of consequences we now face, we can learn from their feedback and adapt and evolve. No matter what we face, we can keep working together as one human family toward achieving the best possible remaining outcomes.
The following critical links will also show you how the Great Global Collapse and humanity's greatest global crisis can be transformed into humanity's greatest opportunity for a Great Global Rebirth (once the collapse process has run its course and we have adapted to it.)
Here is how to counterbalance the difficult global warming collapse news you have just read:
1. You can still prepare and adapt, and take action to make an important and significant difference to stabilize and save the future by immediately starting the Job One for Humanity Plan.
2. You can maintain the perseverance and positive attitude needed to make it through this challenging collapse process by regularly reviewing the many benefits and the Great Global Rebirth possibilities which we will achieve as we work successfully on this together. (This page has been read about 2 million times.) And,
3. Click here and learn about this normal, natural, and needed Great Evolutionary Retrogression and the Great Global Rebirth from a critical big-picture evolutionary perspective. (This critical page will help you see more of the possibilities of a Great Global Rebirth once the collapse has run its course.)
While we persevere for the sake of humanity, never forget that our greatest challenges are also the seeds of our greatest opportunities.
We must also continually realize that we are engaged in the most critical and meaningful evolutionary adventure in human history! This adventure is nothing less than removing the global warming extinction threat and, in so doing, indirectly improving or resolving most of the world's 11 other major challenges.
To get started in a simple way, please also sign this vital:
And, if you read nothing else from the links above, read this page to help you process all of this bad news!
Please send this article to politicians and social media all over the world. Ask your politicians what they are doing to prevent the coming mass extinction of most of humanity by mid-century? Ask them why they are not adequately managing the greatest threat multiplier and global problem amplifier of the 21st century by enacting the governmental steps described here!
18. In Summary
Knowing the following is vital to the future well-being of yourself, your family, your business, and your nation. Here is what you now know from this article:
1. What are the many global warming-related consequences that we must now adapt to for as long as we can.
2. What are the many global warming-related consequences that we must now replan our lives around.
3. The critical global warming warning signs that something close to you may soon fall apart, and you need to get prepared for it or get out of the way.
5. How accelerating global warming-related consequences, if left unresolved, will lead to our near-total extinction and a global collapse in just decades.
6. What we must do first to slow down and survive the cascading convergence of catastrophes from our 12 major global crises.
7. Why we must act as one global human family to prioritize the remedial actions to resolve the global warming emergency. (This way, we also can hope to have time to fix our 11 other worsening major global crises.)
8. Collapse is one of nature's and evolution's most powerful solutions and tools to rebalance any species or system that has exceeded its limits, is no longer sustainable, or is no longer adapting to critical feedback and reality. Collapse will rebalance and readjust even the most adaptation-resistant, reality-denying, or stubborn species, systems, businesses, or governments. If it was not for the coming Great Global Collapse, the possibilities of a Great Global Rebirth could not exist.
9. Accelerating global warming is no longer a problem that will most harm the lives of your children and your grandchildren. If you are over 50 and you expect to live to the retirement age of 65, accelerating global warming consequences will adversely and significantly affect your life long before you are 65. If you plan on living much longer than 65, you too will experience many of global warming's worst consequences described in detail here.
10. You are entering a world where the new normal is new climate and weather records being broken faster and faster. You will experience once-in-a-lifetime weather events multiple times a year. You will experience 1,000-year storms occurring so often that your nations will never be able to afford the repairs.
Get ready and get prepared! The weather and climate you have previously seen will be nothing like the extreme weather you and your family will experience in the future.
11. Our world is collapsing, and that collapse process is accelerating rapidly. Do we now need to ask ourselves how this should change how we live? How should we support each other and our families? How should we connect meaningfully with others to make the best use of any remaining relatively stable and predictable time?
12. The bigger problems and crises listed above will completely overwhelm any and all available local, regional, and national resources and personnel available to mitigate the damages these bigger problems and crises will cause because those problems and crises will continue growing in frequency severity and scale.
13. If we do not make the required 2025 fossil fuel reductions in time to fix the global warming extinction emergency, without fail, Mother Nature will painfully do it for us. Mother Nature will take over and keep raising the global temperature until most or all of humanity (75% or more) is extinct and Earth is back to its carrying capacity.
14. Crossing a negative tipping point is a mega-consequence that will usually crash an area so thoroughly that it will be nearly impossible to reestablish the pre-crash level. If you are eventually able to recover from a crossed tipping point crash, it will be so expensive, difficult, and slow --- you will curse the day you let any area go beyond its tipping point
15. Once we cross the carbon 425 ppm tipping point, we pass a point of no return and we begin an unavoidable and continually worsening die-off of much of humanity by mid-century!
16. The carbon 600 ppm level creates the beginning of a runaway mass methane release tipping point from methane clathrate crystals and the beginning of our near-total extinction. It is estimated to occur sometime from 2063-2072 or when we reach carbon 600 ppm, whichever comes sooner.
17. From the above consequence information, it is easy to understand that before most (or all) of humanity perishes, we will slowly suffer through unimaginable pain and loss for unbearably long periods. Somehow we must get our leaders and societies to realize this and act before it is too late.
18. It is challenging for people to visualize many of the above consequences happening simultaneously and making many of the other consequences even worse. This cascading complexity is hard to imagine because of the many:
a. direct or hidden feedback loops between the consequences,
b. non-linear cause and effect relationships and the spontaneous emergences common to complex adaptive systems, and
c. many crossed tipping points within or triggered between the consequences listed above.
For example, if you imagine a ball of snow rolling down a hill that gets steeper, the ball will move faster, gather more snow, and it will grow more dangerous. In this case, you would then have some minimal horrors of the wild nightmare ride we have created for our futures.
19. In this article, you can see what is behind the many cascading primary and secondary consequences leading to mass extinction and collapse. It is overconsumption causing ever-rising global resource depletion. This overconsumption is also known as global resources overshoot.
This overshoot is driven first by overpopulation in relation to the carrying capacity of the land and sea acreage available for that given population. Overshoot also manifests in the consequent toxic pollution of water, lands, and air, crop failures, overfishing, topsoil loss, resource distribution injustice, and the massive "overconsumption and waste" of the Earth's very finite resources and its limited carrying capacity.
After overpopulation, global resource depletion (overshoot) is considered by most experts to be the primary cause behind or feeding global warming and almost all of our other 11 global crises listed above. If you want to understand the most profound causes of our current extinction and collapse emergency and how to build a new and better world, get the book Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change by William R. Catton.
20. Allowing global warming to continue without immediate radical action is the ultimate lose-lose and no-win scenario. No one will survive the latter stages of extinction and collapse, especially the 1% of the world's wealthiest individuals and corporations! (See Part 4 of the Job One Plan here for why the 1% of wealthiest individuals and corporations will not escape the same extinction fate as the world's poor.)
21. Based on the information on this page, website, and the fact that 26 climate conferences (including the Glasgow COP26 climate conference) have failed, it is more than reasonable to believe that we have now entered into the era of Mutually Assured Climate Extinction (aka MACE). (There have been 26 previous failed climate conferences held over the last few decades.)
22. Because of the soon-arriving acceleration of many globally-destabilizing climate change consequences, we do not have many years left of relative climate stability. Therefore, enjoy them and your life while they are still here!
23. The beginning of the Great Global Collapse can be triggered:
1. by a multitude of the minor climate system and subsystem consequences simultaneously co-occurring, or
2. by the sudden collapse of one or more of our other 11 major global challenges, or
3. by a single monster climate consequences (like the complete collapse of the Thwaites "Doomsday glacier.)
Additionally, non-climate human system collapses that could trigger the Great Global Collapse will probably occur long before we reach the carbon 500 to 600 ppm levels. Those are the carbon levels where we transcend our certain mass extinction and where our near-total extinction becomes inevitable.
24. We are rapidly approaching the point from 2025 to 2031 where global heating consequences will escalate exponentially. At that point, we will not be able to stop the other climate and human system consequences described above from falling like a string of dominos.
25. If the runaway global heating extinction emergency is allowed to continue as we are doing now, what you see above IS what will unfold step-by-step and layer by layer. The world's wealthiest individuals, corporations, and nations will lose their wealth and fall. Eventually, millenniums of human civilization will be lost into a post-collapse new dark age. We will be lucky if there are any human survivors at all. (Click here to see what will happen with the world's wealthiest individuals and corporations if they fail to use their influence to get our governments to act before it is too late!)
It's time to fasten your seat belts, attach your shoulder harnesses, and put on your helmets and protective gear. The world is heading into extreme turbulence due to the convergence of the accelerating global warming consequences interacting with the worsening of our 11 other global crises.
What older generations have done to the future quality of life for generations X, Y, and Z is unconscionable! It will now take all generations acting together in a government-driven global mass mobilization to have any realistic hope of a few of us escaping this nightmare we have created for ourselves.
Overviewing the many above consequences from a summarizing meta-systemic perspective
As global heating-triggered and interrelated primary and secondary consequences worsen, there are things that are unusually not considered or seen as parts of the overall collateral damage that we and the world will experience in the runaway global heating extinction emergency. Those mostly not considered things when seen from a meta-system perspective are:
a. Destabilizing Contexts: The foundation contexts in which life occurs will destabilize and become more uncertain. Your work, home, and social life functionality will all be adversely affected. The stability of economic and political contexts you have come to take for granted will no longer be reliable. The normal equilibriums and dependable hierarchal structures you depend upon will also be altered. Multiple and opposing ideologies and paradigms that previously have had a necessary contextual separation will begin to lose that separation resulting in increasing conflicts of all kinds.
b. Breaking Processes: The normal day-to-day processes we depend upon will start breaking down. As a result, the parts and pieces necessary for those life-dependent processes to work also will become more unavailable. In addition, many smaller and larger processes dependent upon each other will no longer remain connected or reliable.
c. Fragmenting Relationships: Dependent, interdependent and co-dependent day-to-day relationships of all kinds will suffer diminishing functionality. Many relationships will completely collapse from the pressures of external stressors. Undesired separation and separateness from our common purposes and common ground will grow. Relationship supporting structures will fracture as conflicting value systems are forced into closer and closer proximity.
d. Stunted Transformations: The typical day-to-day transformations necessary to life will reach their stability, harmony, and durability limits. Transformations of previously well-managed conflicts, which generally lead to higher-level growth, will more frequently lead to dissolution or lower-level functioning. Self-transformation within systems and the coordination between and within transformative systems will lessen and will be significantly less predictable and fruitful.
Now that you reviewed the above Great Global Collapse materials, we want to hear your opinion on the question that we asked at the beginning of this document
Are we already in an unavoidable collapse and extinction process caused by accelerating global warming multiplying and amplifying the worst consequences of the world's other 11 biggest crises?
Please email us your yes or no answer as well as what word or words would best describe the above retrogression, collapse, and extinction process such as; the great apocalypse, Inevitable Near Term Human Extinction (INTHE,) climageddon, armageddon, the global warming extinction emergency, judgment day, the End Times, or any other word or words that you think will get humanity's attention to stop this madness while we still can. Send your email to ([email protected]).
Please click the image below and join us!
19. Additional Helpful Reading
a. Understand the climate facts above in a completely very different and entertaining way.
Facts alone seldom fully capture the real personal implications of what these facts can or will mean to your life. Therefore we strongly recommend that you read the following two fiction books. These two books will take the information you have learned on this page and make it far more real regarding the psychological, emotional, spiritual, and physical trauma that individuals will go through who try to survive the climate extinction emergency.
The two spellbinding fiction books on the effects of global warming migration after it is too late by an award-winning writer are:
Butler, Octavia E. Parable of the Sower. Four Walls Eight Windows, 1993. This is part one of the two sequential novels. It is set in 2024.
Butler, Octavia E. Parable of the Talents. Seven Stories Press, 1998. This is part of two of the Parable duology. It is set in 2032
Octavia Butler is a fabulous fiction writer and these two books are absolute must-reads to see the day-to-day ordinary and extraordinary suffering that irreversible global warming will impose upon our future. These two books are emergency preparation must-reads. They will educate you in detailed ways we have not yet been able to due to our lack of powerful phase-by-phase emotional and character insight into what happens to people and families in deep crisis.
Franky, we are baffled as to how Octavia Butler was able to so accurately depict the tortuous lives of individuals who waited too long to migrate because of global warming and suffered the horrible consequences. She skillfully compels the reader scene by scene with a brilliantly written cast of families migrates up the California coast through crisis after crisis. It is impossible not to be drawn into the painful personal details of what happens to these decent, regular families when societies break down at every level because of the consequences of late-stage global warming.
b. Despite everything disheartening that you have read above, why we are NOT an all-is-lost, end-of-the-world, apocalyptical organization
After reviewing all of the above scary future consequences concerning the 12 major challenges of our future found on the Universe Spirt and Job One for Humanity websites, it is only fair to wonder if...
we are some group of survivalists, end-of-the-world preppers, doomers, "near term human extinction supporters," post-doomers, deep adapters, collapsologists, or other human extinction-focused movements.
We are definitively not!
Our focus is education and engaged social activism to prevent total human extinction. We are although, wisely helping to prepare others for the unavoidably painful road ahead created by our previous individual and collective bad decisions.
Please click here to read about our balanced, positive approach concerning the monumental challenges we face to avoid extinction and the widespread collapse of our global systems. This page also includes science-grounded timeframes for the unfolding of the worst possible global scenarios.
C. What do we all do if we fail to get close to the collapse and near-total extinction preventing 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets in time
We will need to immediately switch over to getting humanity to execute a global warming emergency Plan B for Humanity. Click here to review our global warming emergency PLan B. It covers what we will need to do if we fail to come close to the correct 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets.
Plan B for Humanity is our last chance emergency backup plan!
Plan B Note: Consider the following regarding a 4 degree Celcius average global temperature increase. Though scientists by 2010 had made 4C the new 2C, no one will be alive to experience 4C. Fortunately, after the IPCC 1.5C report, they backpedaled and made 1.5C the danger limit and in 2020 called for the immediate and rapid decline of global emissions for mitigation. Any temperatures above 2C are moot because 1.5 to 2C triggers an end of the world runaway global warming, and many climate researchers believe that it probably already has been triggered.
"We can no longer avoid many of the worse consequences of global warming interacting with the 11 other major global crises. Therefore, our goal for dealing with the accelerating mass extinction threat must be to save as many people and as much of our civilization as we possibly can---while we still can!" Lawrence Wollersheim
If you also feel it is too late to prevent the die-off of much of humanity by mid-century and all we can hope for now is to prevent near-total extinction, start Plan B for Humanity (also part of our Job One Plan) today!
Plan B is also another roadmap to the eventual benefits of the Great Rebirth!
D. More information for deep readers on why global heating is the most dangerous driver and threat multiplier of our other 11 global crises
The catastrophe and chaos that we will face as our 12 global crises worsen will not grow only cumulatively as the 12 crises worsen. These 12 crises will also create unpredictable and destructive new synergies that will also trigger new tipping points in other global crises.
A deep understanding of the chaotic dangers of the complex interactions within these 12 global crises and their various, climate, ecological, economic, social, and political systems does require a good understanding of system theory, complex adaptive systems, tipping point theory, and dialectical meta-systemic theory. For those who are interested, we strongly suggest reading the preceding 4 links and reviewing the list of 12 global crises once again considering potential synergetic, cumulative, and dialectical interactions multiplying and amplifying their consequences and triggering their internal tipping points.
For those interested in the most complete timeframes, triggering events, and supplemental information related to when and how the preceding primary and secondary global warming consequences will occur, please see the six unique phases of the Climageddon Extinction Scenario. This is dense reading but well worth the time for those who must know every known warning sign and signal tracking the acceleration of the unfolding mass extinction and collapse. Individuals with significant personal investments, businesses that could be affected, or working in predictive positions at insurance companies, investment banks, or hedge funds are the most frequent readers of the six phases of the Climageddon Extinction Scenario.
Please also see this article describing the 11 major global warming tipping points for more information on climate tipping points. You will learn precisely how climate tipping points work and their explosive dangers. This page will describe which climate tipping points have already been crossed and the ones most likely to be crossed next. Many individuals who thought they understood tipping points theory have been humbled by this deep process dive into how tipping points unfold and how key crossed climate tipping points will create an unmanageable future of ever-rising chaos.
Click here to read about these 4 post-2025 extinction-evoking global warming tipping points which we can not pass beyond. This additional page provides the timeframes for each tipping point and the critical science on the process for how we go over the four extinction-evoking tipping points, which lead to runaway global heating, near-total extinction, and doomsday.
Here is what our governments need to do immediately! Only government action can save us at 11:55 pm on the Climate Change doomsday clock. It is too late for individual actions alone to prevent hitting midnight on the Global Warming Doomsday Clock.
Here is what we need to do to prepare, adapt, or migrate until our governments act responsibly and save humanity and our global civilization (as described in the link just above.) To learn more about the Job One Plan B, click here.
For detailed descriptions of the 20 major consequences of global warming, click here.
To avoid total global warming extinction we must get close to the very difficult 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets. Click here to read about the survival-critical 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets. (All developed nations will have to reduce their total fossil fuel use by 75% by 2025. Underdeveloped nations, which did not cause the current global warming emergency, have lower targets. Lower targets for underdeveloped nations are both fair and morally just since they played a much smaller part in creating the current global warming extinction emergency.)
To find out why we will not make the 2025 targets, click here.
If we fail to hit the 2025 fossil fuel reduction targets there are other deadlines and timetables critical to know for the changing preparation and adaptation timeframes for the accelerating global warming emergency. Please click here and go to our member's area critical timeframe update on these issues as soon as possible. This timetable update is vital if you want to prepare your family or business for what now appears to be unavoidable!
This new article on the global warming emergency has been read over 900,000 times.)
E. Academic and news articles which support the above global collapse and extinction analysis
The following academic paper By Professor Jem Bendell is not written in the usual academic style. It's easy for a layperson to read. Most remarkable about this paper is that non-academics have also read it several hundred thousand times.
This paper alone, with no one promoting it, has spawned a worldwide movement with tens of thousands of followers, and it has inspired and informed the Extinction Rebellion, Greta Thunberg's movement, and many other global warming warning groups.
This paper goes into the darkest of places with the global warming consequences and the other major global crises. It takes the final position that all is lost, and "we just need to accept the end of the world over the following decades and comfort each other until the end."
Unlike this paper, our Job One for Humanity organization takes a different final position. We ask our members — is it better to work to save something or do nothing and lose everything? We also ask our members — to prepare for a mass die-off, (which is now unavoidable) while at the same time working like hell to avoid near-total extinction, which is still possible!
The article below is informed and compelling information for intelligent individuals dealing with the honest realization of just how bad things will get over the next two decades. But, do not forget that the Job One organization does not see everyone and everything as lost!
We have a detailed plan to make the best of a horrible situation so that those who prepare and adapt will have a far better chance of surviving and eventually thriving.
How to say most but not all that you have read above on an emotional level in a 7-minute must-see video, click here now!
(This page is derived in part from the 2016 book, Climageddon, The Global Warming Emergency and How to Survive It. It has been updated with new climate research since 2016 as applicable. Climageddon is Available on Amazon.)
About the Job One for Humanity Organization
Job One for Humanity is a non-profit climate change and global heating think tank that provides a "big picture" holistic view of the inter-connected and inter-dependent climate systems creating our current runaway global heating emergency. Using the principles of system theory and dialectical metasystemic thinking applied to the climate as a complex adaptive system, we analyze recent climate change research for errors, omissions, and unrecognized patterns which could affect current climate consequences, timeframes, or recommended remedies. We intensely analyze the climate's multiple related systems and subsystems.
Unlike many other climate change think tanks, we do provide prioritized, critical-path, and deadline-driven solutions to the global heating emergency. These solutions are based on accurate global fossil fuel reduction targets and the most dangerous global heating tipping point deadlines we currently face.
Job One for Humanity actively exposes the current intense politicization of climate science. This intense politicization of science by the media, governments, and the UN's IPCC acts to forward a gross underestimation of our actual climate consequences, timeframes, and remedies. Unexpectedly, our independent climate analysis has turned us into reluctant whistleblowers exposing how popular climate data has been distorted to serve the financial interests of those who gain from the ongoing global use of fossil fuels.
Job One for Humanity is an all-volunteer organization, which is very rare these days. Our volunteers are independent, self-organizing individuals who have a passion for fixing global heating before it is too late.
The core of our organization is made up of think tank climate research analysts who have volunteered their time. One could also think of us as a partially crowdsourced think tank in many ways.
Additionally, if you also think of our organization as a media platform (like Facebook or Reddit (where passionate climate researchers and activists meet online to collaborate, share practical ideas, then go out and independently act on their self-organized climate projects,) you would again have a good idea of what we do.
Our volunteers self-organize to handle our social media, marketing, research, events, and even accounting. In addition, our volunteers do all of the Global Heating Blog postings as they have done for years.
Click here to see a profile of our members and the audience of visitors who will most benefit from our website.
According to Google statistics, as of March 5, 2022, 4.5 million unique visitors have come to our website to review our non-politicized climate change analysis and research over the last five years. Additionally, scores of climate newsgroups regularly display, like, and comment upon our original climate analysis and articles.
Our website With easy-to-understand illustrations, descriptions, and documentation, our website illuminates the "big picture" physics and math-determined interactions of the climate's many complex adaptive systems.
Our mission is currently educating individuals and businesses on preparing for adapting to the climate consequences we can no longer avoid! Our focus is to support and work with those individuals, businesses, and groups that are bravely facing our many unavoidable and severe global heating and environmental consequences, while at the same time, they are working to slow and lessen those consequences so we still have time to save and salvage as much of humanity and our civilization as we can. We will do everything we can to help individuals, businesses, and groups survive this long-term nightmare so they might eventually birth a sustainable, just, and equitable global society, what we call the Great Global Rebirth.
Version 7.9, 5.14.2022
top-secret, eyes only, no copies, section heads only, time stamp all logins and logouts, register copy code 7-b, non-public versions provided to the US, French and British Intel